1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Country music rant from a surprising source

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jan 16, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I found that when I stopped listening to any country recorded after I was born -- the one exception being Johnny Cash's American Recordings stuff -- I loved country music.

If you like country, turn off the radio and start downloading old stuff. Try some Kris Kristofferson. Thank me later.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Jack Ingram is an f-ing stud, in board lingo. But this latest money grab by him is just gut-wrenching to those of us who love to crank up "Hello You" and some of his other earlier albums. He's in danger of becoming the Rod Stewart of country music.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Corporate country music = FRAUD

[​IMG]

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

God bless you, Irish.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That's not really Ingram's thing, though. Until recently. Seriously, check out some of his earlier stuff. Buy "Biloxi" or "Mustang Burn" off of iTunes and then thank me later.

6. writing irish

Spot on about Kristofferson, Zeke.
    "The Silver-Tongued Devil and I" is an underrated classic album.
    "Dreaming My Dreams" by Waylon Jennings and "Red-Headed Stranger" by Willie Nelson, too. Country is a genre that's more about singles than albums...for example, George Jones has an amazing body of work, but no great albums. His LP releases were usually half great, half mediocre. Not the case with "Devil," "Dreams" and "Stranger"...all very solid works as a whole.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, that's a great one.

Jody & the Kid
    Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
    The Taker
    The Pilgrim No. 33

The Kristofferson song getting a workout on my ipod right now is "Don't cuss the fiddle". He also has a new album out that is very good, as well.

8. writing irish

"Willie Sings Kristofferson" is a great album, as well. He picks some damn good ones to cover:

Me And Bobby McGee
    Help Me Make It Through The Night
    The Pilgrim: Chapter 33
    Why Me
    For The Good Times
    You Show Me Yours (And I'll Show You Mine)
    Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
    Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down
    Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like country music, too, but whenever they go for mass appeal you just get a mess.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you're feelin' salty, well, I'm your tequila.

If you got the freedom, I got the time.

There ain't nothing sweeter, than naked emotion.

So you show me yours, honey, and I'll show you mine.

Kirstofferson's bio is as good as his music, BTW. He was recently featured in SI's Faces in the Crowd issue, and was a stud athlete, Rhodes Scholar, poet and soldier before he settled on writing country music.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't know why this has to be a knock against country music. Lips of an Angel was pretty lousy in its first-released form, too. And it was/is overplayed. I know this because my kids listen to the local pop station and I cringe every time it comes on. Not only is it awful, it glorifies cheating.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So are you saying Jack Ingram has done a country cover version of the worst song of 2006?

Draft saved Draft deleted