1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Country music rant from a surprising source

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jan 16, 2007.

1. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

OK, yeah, that surprising source is ME. I love country music and I don't apologize for it. I love it at it's twangiest and tear-in-my-beer best!

But damnations, I heard a song this afternoon that almost made me croak. Even worse was finding out with a quick Google search that the singer of this atrocity is actually someone I was starting to like.

I'm flipping stations and my country ones out-number my rock/pop ones by like 4-1. I hear the intro to Hinder's "Lips of an angel." Now, that's not my favorite song ever, but it's not bad and hey, I've been in that situation, so it's grown on me.

So I hear the song and I thought it was odd because I knew I was on the country station. Jack Ingram has put out the freaking WORST countrified version of a pop song. And like I said, that sux because he grew on me after his song "Love you," which is the funniest, most awesome song I've heard in a while. (Every time you hear the word "love" in the song, you can substitute another four-letter word, "f**k")

I know the anti-country folks will just say all country is bad, but that's not the case. I was really disappointed when I heard his really bad version. Basically, it's just a big drawl in place of the typical rock gutteral sound. Neither sound is inspiring.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I heard it on my way home for Christmas. I was appalled. It's horrid.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I haven't heard this song, but I'm not sure why country artists keep covering songs by rock/pop artists. Country, in all its twangy, steel-guitared glory, deserves better.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Country songs I hate but hear all the time:
    'Crazy ex-girlfriend' — Miranda Lambert
    'Little bit of life' — Craig Morgan
    'I just came back from a war' — Darryl Worley

That last one just drives me nuts, and it gets stuck in my head after I hear it.

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Buck, I hate that "I just came back from the war" song. I ranted on that in the Toby Keith thread from a while back. He's just putting out crap to capitalize on the war. It sux.

There have actually been some decent remakes of pop tunes. In fact, the pop charts have found a couple of country ones to make poppy. But this one sucks...and like I said...I love Ingram's "Love You!"

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Love you, love this town
    Love this motherlovin' truck
    That keeps breakin' lovin' down

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

Love ya grrlhack, but people willing to listen to that god awful overproduced bullshit nashville's selling as country these days deserve what they get.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

That's the thing. Jack Ingram usually isn't overproduced Nashville bullshit. He's from Austin (Dallas, actually) and used to be quite good. I have no idea why he feels he must do this crossover crap. I'm with you, grrl ... both versions of that song are awful, but Ingram's is hellaciously so.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Haven't heard it, but is it worse than Mark Chesnutt's cover of "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing"?

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Good one. No, it's not worse than that.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A-fucking-men.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There was a thread earlier about how all the hair-metal balladeers moved to Nashville. So true. Take out the fiddles and twangy guitars, and you've got Skid Row.

Give me some good old songs about Shiner Bock and tubing the Frio River anyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted