1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Counting first downs...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Not being a journalist I'm not afraid to admit that if asked, I would have thought scenario one would have counted as a first down. Learn something new everyday.

2. This post confuses me, because Texas is not a level, it's a state. I know the Dallas Cowboys, TCU, A&M and other colleges don't get a first down on a touchdown that comes on first-and-goal, so are you saying Texas high schools score it that way? Or just certain levels of Texas high schools? And why in the world would Texas do it that way? That's kooky. Not trying to be difficult, but I'd love some clarification.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fucking, fuck texas.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Shut your mouth, Mister. ;)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

except you, of course.

6. jps

jps Active Member

I'd never heard that about texas hs ball ... they follow college rules and in college it is a first down if scored from outside 10, thus passing that first-down marker. first-and-goals on ... didn't think any more first downs were possible. you sure that's right?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd like to see that rule cited in writing because I've been following what others have said about first-and-goal.

Besides, Texas follows NCAA rules other than having 12-minute quarters.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yep.

In Texas this is how I was told it is.

It's the same as everywhere else, no first down for a blank-and-goal situation.

The difference in Texas HS football is, it follows the college rules. Whereas most states follow the NFHS.

Edit: Though I always thought and-goal situations were first downs. Hell, I'm sure I've scored more than my fair share that way. I can't say why, just thought they were.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and as far as Texas HS football rulings:

pressboxer to the white courtesy phone please.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Since you asked so nicely:

Way back in the olden days before the University Interscholastic League got its shit together and adopted the overtime tiebreaker, the rule was any offensive touchdown was counted as a first down, regardless of distance.

At the time, the tiebreaker procedure in Texas was 20-yard line penetrations, then first downs, then total yards, then a coin flip. (I never liked this system because using first downs favored teams that could control the ball over those that could break a big play at any time. One team could pile up first downs with 12-play, 80-yard drives, while the other would get just one for popping an 80-yard score.)

This method usually applied only in playoff games when somebody had to advance to the next round, but districts are allowed to formulate their own procedures and many used it for district games to determine which team held the edge in the standings. An example was the Hereford-Pampa game I covered in 1990 (Whitefaces and Harvesters, no place but Texas). The game ended in a 20-20 tie, but Hereford had the lead in penetrations. Both teams finished 4-0-1 in district and were declared co-champions with Hereford entering the playoffs as the No. 1 seed.

(By the way, some kid from Pampa named Zach Thomas knocked the holy fuck out of the Hereford quarterback with about two minutes to go. The backup QB came in and threw a touchdown pass into triple coverage on his first snap to make it 20-19. One of the Hereford spotters asked me what the penetration and first down counts were before the PAT. After relaying the info to the head coach, spotter says "Coach said you'd better be right. We're kicking.")

Once the UIL adopted overtime, there was no longer a need to credit first downs on offensive TDs. I was told several years ago by people from both the UIL and the football officials association to follow the NCAA guidelines, which have already been mentioned.

Another area that many people have trouble with (or simply aren't aware of) is that an automatic first down is part of the penalty for several defensive fouls (defensive holding, pass interference, personal fouls). Again, based on discussions with members of the officials association, it is my understanding that, say, a face-mask call on a kickoff or punt return results in a first down before the offense runs a play.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No shit.. I didn't know that withthe extra first down...

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Texas always has to do shit different.

Draft saved Draft deleted