1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you pass the Haynesworth test?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Apparently this is the new thing: regular joes attempting to perform the feats of professional athletes. I'm not sure what it proves, and to be honest, I consider myself somewhat athletic and I'm not sure I could do it. However, I guess I'll follow suit and give it a try.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/61-year_old_magazine_writer_pa.html

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Remember all the sports talk stations that would give free stuff to anyone who could beat Maurice Clarett's 40 time?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Need to work some sledgehammering into the test.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

James Fallow, 61, passed the Haynesworth test.
    That's just something.
    In college we had to run 200 yard sprints for time.
    I was just a fat freshman lineman and they were pretty brutal but I don't remember what the times were but they were staggered for what position you played. Faster for the skill guys, slower for linemen.
    I just remember that one of the receivers on the team went on to a long career in the pros and he wouldn't even break a sweat, while all us fatties were looking for a discrete place to throw up and tugging on our shorts trying to catch our breath.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's the third newsperson I've seen do this in the past 3 hours. Is this a trend?

http://outofbounds.yahoo.com/?id=21186151

and Golic in ESPN.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

She actually failed. Did the first one in the time, but failed the second one. She said because she hadn't eaten that day. C'mon, we don't want the excuses.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Yeah, I can do it.

Particularly if I'm on the way to the bank to deposit my $21 million bonus.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know if I could pass it or not, but I DO know one thing: The next time a football player actually runs for 70 seconds in a game without stopping, it'll be the first time that's ever happened. Maybe Shanahan needs to create a conditioning drill that, you know, actually is applicable to the job.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong. In fact, you couldn't be more wrong.

Does that mean players should stop lifting weights before and after practice simply because they don't do it during games? Will Haynesworth ever run 25-yard sprints 12 times during a game like he has to in the conditioning test? Nope. But that doesn't mean it can't enhance his conditioning to the point where he can play more than 12 games in a season, which I don't believe he's ever done.

You're not going to get players in football shape by making them do conditioning drills that only mimick what they do on Sundays. Christ. How fucking stupid does sound?

What grand conditioning drills would you have them do, T-rich? Run five yards and stop? Over and over and over? C'mon. Get real.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Point taken on the weightlifting, but running 300 yards proves nothing that is representative of a defensive lineman's ability to perform his duties in a game. I guess it could be helpful for a defensive back who's going downfield 50 or 60 yards on a long stretch of plays. But there has to be a more appropriate way if the goal is to see how he'll hold up in five frantic minutes when the opposing offense is in the hurry-up.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In middle school I was our team's third string point guard. My coach had me practice by sitting on the bench and then taking five shots after the practice was out of reach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, people who weigh 100 or so pounds less than Albert Haynesworth should adjust the time needed to complete the conditioning drill.

Draft saved Draft deleted