1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you hide $100K from the cops?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 4, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I was listening to a show on Sirius today and the two hosts were talking about this new gameshow called "Take the Money and Run" on ABC.

It just premiered last night and the premise is simple. Two people are given $100K in a briefcase and have an hour to hide it somewhere, anywhere, they choose.

The catch is they are given a car whose GPS pattern is tracked and their cell phone log is recorded, all but giving the investigating police more than enough to track the briefcase down ... or at least get a good idea of where it could be. After the hour is up, the partners are "arrested", separated and interogated by trained professionals while two police officers go on the hunt for it.

If the cops can't find the case in 48 hours, the partners keep it. If the cops find it, it's theirs.

It was an intriguing first episode, though the fat brother was really, really annoying.

Seems to me that I could make it through two days of interrogation in this situation and I could definitely come up with a lot of better ideas than these two geniuses had in this first episode.

What say you. Could you last the 48 hours?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If it wasn't a criminal act, absolutely. I could hold out forever for $100K right now, given the economy.

3. schiezainc

Seems like you're required to talk to the interrogators. I thought about just sitting there and smiling the entire 48 hours but those idiots were giving away big time clues.

I like to think I could do it and, hell, I'd appreciate the chance to have 48 hours in solitary with nothing to do but I wouldn't be surprised if I cracked 42 minutes in either.

4. SpeedTchr

Don't you reckon that most of us bullshitters on this board could string them along for hours on end and drive the detectives nuts?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't have anybody I'd trust enough to do that with me. :D

6. schiezainc

I would bring it to my office and tell my boss that if she hid it for me, I'd place a $5,000 thank you ad with our newspaper. Guarantee the cops would NEVER find it.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

easy. mail it to yourself. cops search everywhere, there's no trace of it. suddenly it shows up at your door three days later. wouldn't work for a real-life scenario but perfect for the 48 hour window of the show

8. SpeedTchr

Claud Mills would gently suggest you not send it by Emery Worldwide...

9. schiezainc

I was thinking of something similar to this. I'd be willing to bet there are restrictions with the type of hiding you can do. I think you have to place it somewhere the "cops" could theoretically search. If not, what's to stop the contestants from walking into a bank, getting a safety deposit box, storing it in there and spending the rest of the hour driving aimlessly to throw the cops off?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Adoration, me to you.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Random is always good. Curious as to what the rules are though. Figure a case like that left stashed in a public place would raise some suspicions, you couldn't just turn it in to a lost and found and have them keep on eye on it. Maybe go to a mall, find a luggage store and leave it in a display window?
    I'm wondering if they try and get the two contestants to sell each other out, offer them $10k, $20k - "We're going to find it anyway, we're giving you a break! Hell - the first one who talks gets $20k."

12. schiezainc

Hard to tell because this episode featured a pair of brothers who were in it to give their "mother some time off from work".

I would love to know the ground rules though and I'd also be willing to bet there's someone involved with production with eyes on that case from start to finish.

Draft saved Draft deleted