1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you ever own a minivan?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 15, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Astro = Two-story Chevette.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

with swiveling captain seats and cup holders.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

you want a car for the tall and long legged? Look into a Toyota Matrix. Both JR and I were pleasantly surprised.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, and I want one badly but my wife is the one who gags every time I bring it up, as if it would immediately transform her into uber-soccermom. If we're blessed enough to have baby No. 2, I'm going to the mat on this. I'm completely sick of wrenching my back to get to the middle-back seat of our sedans. (And neither one of us are much for gas-loving SUVs.)

Weird thing is my wife used to want a junky old pickup truck for her rustic-furniture fetish and I fought that off for years. Now I tell her we can get a minivan, remove the third seat and she can have all the crappy chairs she wants, but she's not budging. Argh!

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I married into one in 2004 but we soon rid ourselves of it.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is your wife a Sanford? :)

Anyway, if you're looking for something that doesn't feel bulky in a minivan, something where you have a hope of converting the uninitiated, try the Toyota, Honda or Mazda lines. And, yes, there is nothing wrong with thinking it could double as a kick-ass tailgate vehicle. It's certainly cheaper than buying and operating an RV.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

We've had a Toyota Sienna and a Honda Odyssey and both were very nice.

Minivans are the same as SUVs, except they are cheaper, have more room, are more fuel efficient and safer. :)

I get a kick out of people who don't want to have a minivan because they don't want to seem like parents dragging around kids. Well, guess what, you are!

Once our kids got older and the our amount of stuff and car seats was reduced we switched to a "crossover," an Acura MDX, which is the best vehicle, but has significantly less room than the minivan. It's only convenient if the kids are old enough to get themselves in and out.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My two boys are now 9 and 7. The minivan (Sienna) has been the most utilitarian car imaginable. Carries 7, with still room in the back, gets 19 mpg in the city, and runs like a top 5 years later. Amazing. Not a SUV, but the tires are cheaper, the engine more reliable, the functionality out of the world.

When the boys were younger, it was amazing the difference between buckling them in in the minivan over the Camry.

Form or substance? your call.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I own the ultimate Soccer Mom Mobile: Ford Escape.

My dog likes it.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was just like you Waylon.

Within two years I owned one.

Don't regret it one bit either. In fact, I just paid it off.

(Though the van was subject to perhaps the ugliest, totally untrue rumor I ever heard about me in my life, thanks to the clueless assholes in the news department at my former place of work.

When some vets in the sports department there who were tired of the asshole management left the paper (I left myself less than two years later), some of these clueless newsroom fucks thought I was paid by the company to drive them off, with the van as a bonus.

Fucking conspiratorial pricks, if only they knew. That was the worst financial year of my life ... that van, which we got when my son was born and which we needed because my kids are 13 months apart, nearly put us over the edge since my son had some unforseen health issues.)

Anyway, if parenting teaches you one thing its that you get over yourself pretty quick. Get the van, Waylon, you'll thank me later.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's for damn sure. If I thought it made my kid happy or gave him an advantage to drive a Rainbow Brite Butterfly Mobile, I'd probably do it.

But there are a lot of "minivans that aren't minivans" out there now. It's like a whole class of vehicles. There are face-saving options.

Draft saved Draft deleted