1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you ever own a minivan?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And with this economy as a consideration, it would be easier to live in a minivan than an SUV -- more head room.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Grow up, already.

There's no "stigma" with owning a minivan. If you need one because it's more practical, you get it.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm almost done with my second 3 year lease (Odessy/Siena), & this time I insisted on the 8 seater. Drives nicely, better than my 13 year old Maxima.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can have my minivan keys when you pry them from my cold, dead hands -- if you can find me at soccer practice or the PTA meeting or maybe tidying up the house before the wife's book club meets.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No.

White paint, gray paneling, extra cup holders. Chicks dig that kind of stuff.

6. Nope.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Like you, I was brainwashed into believing the minivan was a dork machine. Now I own two, and I would never sub an SUV or a Volvo wagon just to make myself feel cool. The minivan carries a lot more than an SUV and is more fuel-efficient. It'll be easier than a wagon for getting your kid(s) in and out.

The only thing more uncool than a dad driving a minivan is a dad going through contortions not to.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Waylon, why are you worrying about this now? A car with a decent trunk (and, preferably, four doors) will be fine for one baby plus stuff. It's No. 2 who requires a bigger vehicle. Then, you can choose between a dorkmobile and a schmuckmobile (oversized sport ute).

9. Only because I'm in the process of trading in my two-door gas saver, so my wife and I were just kind of imagining the future, etc., etc., as it relates to our changing vehicle habits.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pardon me, but what the fuck difference does it make? Drive whatever you can afford, based on what's safe and reliable and practical for your circumstances.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Waylon, given the changes a baby will bring to you life, what you drive is going to be among the least of your concerns. If it has four wheels and holds the baby and all your shit, it's good. Anyway, there's no point in trying to keep your life the same as it is pre-kids, because it won't be. And it turns out that's OK. It's a hard conversion, but the more you resist, the harder the change.

/know-it-all parent of four
    //you'll really learn to hate people like me
    ///damn rookie :)

Draft saved Draft deleted