1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you ever own a minivan?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 15, 2009.

1. With bundle of joy No. 1 on the way, I've been staring mortality - OK, my 30s - right in the face the last few months. I have decided that I will in no way, no how ever own a minivan. No soccer mom/soccer dad for us.

Immature? Something I'll grow out of?

My best friend from college the other day, who has three kids, started telling me about how great his new minivan is. This is the guy who, senior year, would tell us that he was buying "a Corvette, a pick-up truck and a motorcycle" when we graduated and he got all his big money from being a business major (he started work in a hot dog factory and quickly advanced to department manager at Home Depot). Surreal conversation, to say the least.

I honestly, at this point, don't believe I'll ever own a soccer dad minivan. Am I being naive? How do you minivan owners deal with the suburban soccer mom/dad stigma?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So he makes more money than most who post here?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My sister swore she'd never own a minivan. Then, she got preggers with her third in four years and was sure she'd have to get one, until she found some SUV in her price range with a third backseat. If you don't want a minivan, there are ways around it these days.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Instead of a mini, we'll probably opt for the mid-sized SUV. Or, if a station wagon/Subaru-type thing fits, we'll do that.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My wife had to have one after our kid was born -- we got a Dodge Caravan. Not too bad and it allows us to pick up large items on our own, rather than needing to borrow somebody's truck.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exactly. I'm on my second Caravan and they've been great.

I don't allow my kids to play soccer.

7. Probably three times as much, to be honest. But still not enough to be the kind of high-rolling status symbol driving Wall Street suit sporting bad mofo that was going to purchase a Corvette, Harley and brand new Honda Pilot with his signing bonus at age 22.

8. blueview

blueview Member

My dream car is a GMC Yukon, kids or no kids. Still, you could tote a lot of babies around in that. Minivans are so suburban soccer mom circa 1996.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I can't believe somebody started this thread. I don't think of myself as a Joe Cool, pretentious sort of person. I don't drive a sports car or anything fancy. But I am old enough to have been having kids right near the start of the minivan era. I remember the first one I ever rode in, which belonged to my brother-in-law and his wife (now long divorced).
    And I remember my reaction: Yuck. Never, not ever.
    Why not just buy one of those little buses that the hotels and rental car companies use?
    I went to great lengths when the kids were little to avoid minivandom. Volvo station wagon, Isuzu Trooper ... The Trooper handled like a garbage truck, but it was NOT A MINIVAN.
    I don't care how nice they make them. Door on the side, not for me. Not a rational response, I know.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Buy the vehicle that works best for you, not the one that feeds your ego. A minivan can be a blessing when you're dealing with aging parents, etc. It's easy to get in and out of and the space if flexible. Two kids can fit in a Corolla.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Best thing about the minivan is that you can get the second row with captain's seats and keep some space between the kids.

You can also fit a lot more crap in the back. And hauling 6-7 people can come in handier than you might think.

Plus, when kids are smaller, having doors that slide back (rather than open out and banging into the car next to you) is a plus.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's the only car I've ever owned, actually. Been great for moves in college and then to my first drive. The mileage actually isn't awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted