1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be more clueless than this person?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jun 13, 2010.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I was going to drop Marty Balin in there, but realized his line was "If only you would believe in miracles."

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

E. Gordon Gee also believes it is one of America's great victories. Along with Korea and the 2003 President's Cup.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If someone says "Do you believe in miracles?" or some variation in the closing moments of a big upset, then yeah, they are almost certainly making a reference.

I don't see any reason to assume a headline involving an underdog tying being a "win" is a reference.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not. You missed the point.

The guys at Harvard did only one thing noteworthy: They PRINTED something that others only thought of.

Even today many are uncomfortable with the idea ("Only the Post could get away with it . . . "). It's easy to take the position that it's a "win", but not so easy to actually write a head that will get approved.

I have seen lots of ties and moral victories . . . but "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" is the only headline I remember reading about.

NY Post did not necessarily reference that old head (although maybe the writer was aware of it). But it doesn't really matter.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No doubt -- but it remains the most notable sporting example of such
    usage in the lexicon of the Lower 48.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This thread became pretty interesting ... but at least most of us agree that Glynnis didn't have the slightest clue.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whew. I was afraid that would be a video of me.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In order to add nothing to the discussion, I note that Tommy Lee Jones played in that 29-29 game.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

I think it's great. I love the Post.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

There's not too many newspapers in America that you go to to see what headline they come up with outside of this one. That's not clueless.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It still applies, because that's the first thing I thought of too. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted