1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be more clueless than this person?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I love the comments below the story.

It's obvious the writer really is the only guy who didn't understand what the Post was trying to do — and did so well.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

1. There's a great documentary about that game.
    2. I'm just glad the subject line of this post wasn't about me.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Boy, there are some people really sticking to their guns, though, especially Snipzor or whatever:

"Dammit, a tie is not a win. This is just stoopid."

By the way THIS thread is now on that one. So now I'M famous...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is there anything worse than showing your complete ignorance while criticizing someone else?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got what they were doing, and loved it, but had no idea about the previous headline ever existing.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't know either. But to speculate that maybe the headline was written before the game was over -- a game that England led, was played at 2:30 Eastern and that included a final score in the headline -- was ignorance on many levels.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You don't even need to know about the Harvard-Yale headline.

There was no precedent to draw upon (that I know of) when that headline was written. It worked because . . . it just worked.

Same here. U.S. should have lost, so anything better than a loss is a win.

Most papers wouldn't see it that way ("Only the Post could get awy with it"), but IMO they should. If you aren't the NYT and don't have to maintain a "paper of record" standard about what you do . . . then have a little fun.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure some Harvard-Yale headline writer didn't invent the idea that a tie is a metaphorical win for a heavy underdog.

9. imjustagirl

I'm not arguing against any of that, just saying that even some of us in sports journalism didn't know about this supposedly really well-known headline.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Think it happened same year Glen Davis won the Heisman :)

11. imjustagirl

You know, as soon as I saw you had posted, I KNEW where it was going. :D :D :D :D

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe not. But it made print. So unless there is another one out there from years earlier, the one who does something prominent with it gets the credit for inventing it.

I doubt Al Michaels was the first to say "Do you believe in miracles?" either.

Draft saved Draft deleted