1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could you be a good sports GM?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If Matt Millen can do it, hell yes I could.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between knowing the game well enough to cover it for your newspaper and knowing it well enough to be a general manager. Both are completely different skill sets.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I manage the entire Well Known fantasy sports franchise.
    That's football and baseball, and in the past it has even occassionally included hockey and basketball.
    Let's see Jerry West do that.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a few beat writers in each sport that might be able to pull it off...

I think a lot of NFL teams could do a lot worse than having Rick Gosselin or Bob McGinn pulling the strings...

5. Certainly. I'm not saying I'm ready to step into a front office right this second.

6. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Easy to dice it: can you do the past (journalist) or can you do future (GM)? Former requires mixing in pretext, context, conclusion text- how many balls ended up in pockets. Latter requires gambler's knowledge of odds, personalities, skill set integration - how tight will the rack be when the cue strikes. I respect both skills.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

If I was smart enough to be a GM, I sure as fuck would not be a sportswriter.

Too much law and business knowledge required to be a GM or even an assistant GM, but I like to think I could be a solid grunt in baseball operations.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd love to be an assistant GM of a baseball team. Dealing with the scouts and overseeing the minor-league operations would be pretty cool.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think I'd be OK. Not great, but not the worst there is.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Use that line in an interview, Mike, it's sure to land you the job.
    "I won't suck."
    "You're hired."

Those who feel you'd be a kick ass AD: This is not a challenge, just a question.

Why?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

GEORGE: I like sports. I could do something in sports.

JERRY: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?

GEORGE: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.

JERRY: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If I were interviewing for a general manager position, I'd probably sing a different tune. But I'm a realist here.

Draft saved Draft deleted