1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could we handle the truth?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Aug 25, 2009.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The problem with right-wing media Dan is that it identifies everything that doesn't agree with it as being left-wing. And that's just wrong. It worked for a while, but I don't think it carries water with people it used to carry water with.

I think people can tell straight news from Fox or Keith Olbermann now...

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Agreed. In this day and age, being "bashed by the right" is a badge of honor, in my opinion. The flying-monkey right doesn't have those big bad communists under every bed to point to any more, so the so-called liberal media is a nice target.

That said, our industry has been decimated by the cuts, layoffs, and buyouts. It's a lot easier for lazy reporters to write down what some flack says, other than making a few calls and checking something out.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know what it means but Fox's least watched evening programs are the least opinionated and biased, Special Report and Fox News with Shepherd Smith dip noticeably after Beck and go up once O'Reilly starts.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think it means the people who fled "the liberal media" because of what they saw as opinion and bias are fine with news and talk shows that align with their opinions and biases.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Glen Beck is a complete twit. He keeps ranting about brown shirts, Nazis and "how to save our republic." The fact that he's got a show on Fox pretty much sums up that channel. He makes O'Reilly sound reasonable.

The bottom line - and this ain't exactly a news flash - is that it's become all about bringing people inside the tent. Content? Facts? Reporting? That's not what the people want. They want raving lunatics who support their fears that the gubmint is out to get them and theirs.

Draft saved Draft deleted