1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can appreciate that as a fan, but is there enough support for the Isles on the Island?

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

No more mall. Its been torn down and a high-rise luxury condo put in its place (just in time). But the remaining arena is more than 30 years old and would need serious upgrades. With the state facing $6 billion dollar budget defecit, I don't think its going to happen.

From what I understand Bettman will listen to anybody who is interested in having a team and he doesn't have anything against Hartford (some of the former owners sure, but not the city).

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The day lakes were created in L.A., and jazz in Utah.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

As someone not versed in hockey but interested in it when I can see it, any chance of the Isles coming to KC?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Isles are playing a preseason game in KC.

My best guess is that Charles Wang will sell the team to someone in KC (Lamar Hunt?).

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Died December 2006.

I'd be shocked if the Islanders moved.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, then it'd be quite the story if Wang sold the Islanders to Lamar Hunt.

I would not want to be a politician on Long Island if the Islanders leave. They're a shitty product, but they bring high revenue streams to Nassau County. If they leave, what else is there on Long Island other than suburbanites who work in New York City?

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Shopping malls?

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anshutz (or however you spell it) of the Anschutz Entertainment Group has made bids to get a team in KC before. I'd imagine he'd be the buyer.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

AEG manages and is the majority partner of the Sprint Center; they will have not-inconsiderable influence over who, if anyone, purchases an NHL team for KC. The Hunt family will not go for it, and there are few individuals in KC with the kind of personal capital needed to take on a professional sports franchise, even one struggling financially.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

That would require logical thinking in a league that once included Vancouver in its East Division while Atlanta was in the West Division.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I hate Nashville in the Central. Totally ruins the old Norris-Division vibe.

Draft saved Draft deleted