1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or move Nashville to the Southeast and KC into the Central.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I can see the Isles eventually moving away from Long Island. Their arena is a dump and they're not getting a new one there anytime soon.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Their lease runs til 2015.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When was the last time there was jazz in Utah?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seattle is on the back burner because the arena (where the WHL's Thunderbirds play) is terrible for hockey... even worse than for the NBA's Sonics.

So what IS the arena situation in Hartford? They can't play in the dump that was the Hartford Civic Center (or whatever corporate name it has now). Is there a newer arena there? Haven't been to Hartford in more than a decade.

I would think the Bradley Center or Rose Garden would be NHL quality.The bigger concern would be could those markets support both an NBA and NHL team, with both playing parallel seasons.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Touche, my friends *hums Brass Bonanza*

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The rights to the Whalers name are held by either the City of Hartford or the state, though I forget which. If a team came back, they'd almost assuredly be named the Whalers — which originally came from their involvement in the WHA and created one of the best logos in sports.

Most reports I've read about this subject, though, seem to indicate the Mall (the rink) would need substantial renovations even as a temporary site and I'm not aware of a new rink on the horizon.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bradley Center, built in 1988, is already outdated due to the lack of enough private suites and other amenities. There has been talks that the Bucks could be gone in the next few years ... they've been going on a year-to-year lease recently.

If they were wise, they'd work with Potowatomi to build an arena north of the Bradley Center.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This guy thinks the "Kitchener-Waterloo Clydesdales" has a nice ring to it L)

[​IMG]

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Like any professional franchise owners give a fuck about leases. They're rich, so silly shit (like binding contracts) does not apply to them.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Normally, I think owners holding up municipalities for arenas is reprehensible. In Wang's case, he wants to spend his money to renovate Nassau Coliseum.

Draft saved Draft deleted