1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's the arena situation in Hartford these days?

I'm not sure about another NHL team there. Too many teams too close to one another in Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, New York, New Jersey, etc.

I would like to see Kansas City, Milwaukee, Portland or Seattle get a shot.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Milwaukee would probably do well in the NHL. Seatte might, too, especially since the NBA deserted them.

Otherwise, I would have no problem with another team in the northeast, since that's where the product is popular.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bettman will talk to anybody (in the US) who can be used for leverage for a possible relocation scenario.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN staffers can be the bulk of the season-ticket base.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nice pull.

[​IMG]

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Milwaukee could do well if the Bucks left town, and would likely need a new arena built ... or heavy remodeling of the Bradley Center. If Milwaukee was to get a team, I'd like it to be Nashville since it is the AHL affiliate of the Predators.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Why must the board mock me so early in the morning??? ;D

I believe the State of Connecticut holds the rights to the name & logo.

I was at the SHU/UConn game on Sunday & the band played "Brass Bonanza". Sigh...

9. It would be nice...but Gary Bettman exercising common sense would be a sign of the apocalypse.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I like Unemployed Douchebaggy Insurance Executives as a team nickname. With colors being navy and khaki. Can't wait for the "Hartford U-DIE" headlines. The equivalent of Cleveland football's Dog Pound could be the Hartford U-DIE Lounge, where the most rabid fans wear horn-rimmed glasses and Brooks Brothers topcoats.

Seriously though, the NHL could stand to drop a few franchises. Relocation? Well, ok, I guess.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl ...

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

and Tampa Bay in the Series, repent now you sinners

Draft saved Draft deleted