1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could the Hartford Whalers be reborn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Fire it up!

Honestly, while all the talk has been of moving a team, for example the Coyotes or Predators, to South Ontario, this might be a logical destination for a club like Atlanta, which is also struggling.

If two or more teams relocate in the next five years, I can't see more than one going north of the border.
  3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Which begs the question.... When was the last time there was a whale in Hartford?
  4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Should a franchise move to Hartford, it will have immediate built-in rivalries with Buffalo, Boston, the Rangers, the Devils and the Islanders...well, maybe not the Islanders.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

This is begging for a Peter Karmanos joke ...
  6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So, if the Islanders move comes to pass as well, and obviously that's still a long-shot, exhibition or no, you can just move KC into the Southeast division, giving Hartford its place in the Atlantic to have the Rangers and Devils rivalry renewed immediately.
  7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So where is it?
  8. Sam Mills 51

Never mind the Whalercanes, whom the city of Hartford may not like but the citizens of that fair town probably don't like Karmanos. Just a guess ...
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Brilliant strategy by Bettman and his boys ... let's moves teams to places where we've failed before (KC and Hartford).
  10. Sam Mills 51

S-P, Hartford didn't fail as much as Peter Karmanos simply flew the coop.

Karmanos is a skin flint and a special degree of scum. Hartford shouldn't shoulder the blame for all of this one.
  11. Oz

Oz Active Member

Just to play devil's advocate, it worked with Colorado and Minnesota.
  12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I do believe the name Whalers is also not useable, If I am correct the current rights holder of the name and logo are hold them ransom pretty much. It's why you can't buy buy retro Whalers gear when you can for the Nordiques, Jets, Rockies, etc. I also believe it is why the NHL video games do not include the jerseys in their games.

All that being said I would welcome the return of a team to Hartford.
Draft saved Draft deleted