1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could The Dark Knight be the biggest opening ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 6, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Besides just looking incredible and building off the momentum of Batman Begins, do you think with Ledger's death that this movie will just go crazy?>

It seems the hype machine is truly driving this movie, although from the looks of the trailers, it's deserved.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think it'll be the biggest opening of the summer. Can't wait to see it, though.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ironman beats it out?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've been waiting for this movie to come out since I finished watching Batman Begins the first time. I can't wait.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you. Begins was freaking awesome. Just perfectly executed.

6. bigpern23

Nah, Indiana Jones' three-day grosses (Thur., Fri., Sat.) will be higher than Batman's.

7. bigpern23

For that matter, don't underestimate Pixar's Wall E. Pixar movies are always monsters at the box office. It hasn't had a flop yet (though considering it has no dialogue and is about a robot that resembles Johnny 5, Pixar seems to be trying).

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's going to be like Tupac's "R U Still Down" album. It was the first album since his death and it went 4x multi-platinum. Long live the Ledger.

9. bigpern23

Don't get me wrong, though, Dark Knight will do huge numbers at the box office and I think it will probably be the best movie of the summer.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sold. You got me. Forgot about it.

Good call.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a dick, but why does anyone care how much money a movie makes when it opens? Or for that matter, how much money a movie makes at all?

Same for TV ratings ... anything like that.

The quality of a movie/TV show is not often tied to how much money it makes. I've never understood the fascination with something that is basically inside industry baseball.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My little one can't wait to see that one. She keeps asking me to play the trailers for her on the computer.

Making something little kids will like doesn't seem to be the challenge. Making something they want to see that the adults won't hate is the real trick, and so far Pixar has done that very well.

I agree that this or Indiana Jones will probably have the bigger opening, but I think Dark Knight is going to be the better movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted