1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone ask Billy Payne to STFU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's been plenty said and written about both Clintons courting racist voters in their respective campaigns.

According to this, Johnson's all over the place.

http://www.newsmeat.com/sports_political_donations/Hootie_Johnson.php

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As predicted, and with room to spare.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Swann's not black enough for your tastes?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

What mind?

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day. And, in this case, the broken clock is still a piece of shit douchebag.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Payne hired the plane.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/09/businessinsider-tiger-woods-gets-punked-by-planes-banner-at-the-masters-tiger-did-you-mean-bootyism-2010-4.DTL

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

God, it's amazing on how much more pissing we're doing over this thread.

For the last fucking time, Augusta can do and say whatever they want and people can get pissed at them.

They are Augusta.

Payne said it and they haven't given two flying shits about it since Wednesday.

They're running their "toonamint" and if you don't like, turn the god damn channel.

For every one person who quits watching, there's at least 2 new viewers they'll pick up.

If you're lying around waiting for them to answer to you, you are a bigger douche for waiting.

This shit has become a yearly ritual and all of you know you that.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The controversy is over Payne's chastising of Tiger. I think he was speaking on behalf of Billy Payne not the tournament. He used the tournament as his platform. If he were speaking on behalf of the tournament, it was a tremendous blunder. But then again, Billy is used to blunders.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Then the question becomes whether Billy Payne the individual should be using this platform to chastize Woods (no) or is Billy Payne speaking for the toonamint and members (some, or all) of Augusta National?

I think it was the latter. I don't really care what Billy Payne or the AN members think, although he was right. Woods was seen as a hero by many, including children and young adults, and he disappointed a lot of people. How he is viewed in the future will be determined in part by his actions, words and sincerity.

If Payne was speaking for the AN members then yeah, his little presser was proper place to do it and the only place he or AN would do it.

Again, it goes back to this: It's Augusta National. They don't care what you think, whether you attend or if you like it. It is their event.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I covered the Olympics in 1996 and yes, it was difficult. But there are so many sports requiring so many venues that I'm not sure any city can be totally efficient, summer or winter. I do know that since Atlanta, most of what I read from the media is how screwed up the Olympics are, so many it's just sportswriters doing what they do best: pissing and moaning because they had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle bus instead of 10, and the free food wasn't good enough.
    I do know that Augusta National has thrived under Payne. To repeat: new practice facility the players are raving about, fantastic web site that he personally dragged into the 21st century, expansion of TV to Asia and creating the Asian Amateur (winner gets to Augusta), better media conditions, bringing back the PGA Tour victory invitation and easing up on the course conditions -- all on his watch.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Atlanta as a city got fucked up by the Olympics. People got greedy, prices went up, looking to get the international dollar. When the tourists and athletes left, it was back to being Atlanta where the wages are low and the temperature is almost always too warm to enjoy. It became, thanks to the Olympics in my opinion, a southern town affixed with northern prices and southern wages. Like oil and water, it doesn't mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted