1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone ask Billy Payne to STFU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am aware of what the brochure says.

I'm talking about what it means to set an example for the next generation, which apparently is Payne's big concern.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh, we're talking about role models? I guess Billy doesn't think of himself as one.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

C'mon man, get yer lines of succession straight. Dooley went to Auburn. He worshipped at the altar of Shug Jordan. And Payne grew up in Athens. Dodd and Tech were almost certainly low on his BFF list. [sorry for the threadjack]

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tiger did the one thing a gentleman must never do: he got caught. Payne - and Augusta - are well within their rights to dress him down for his womanizing. Despite the obvious irony.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they don't like him or what he did, kick him out of the club or issue a private reprimand and restrict his club privleges.

If they still don't like him or what he's done, that is somehow has sullied the image of the club or the tournement, don't invite him. It is a private club, a fact they love to keep reminding the world, Tiger Woods doesn't have a right to play there.

It seems like a gratutious shot at Tiger. Maybe Tiger was taking their patronage is bit to cavalierly and they wanted to remind him of his place in the club, invited guest and honorary member.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe Payne, like many of the players, was tired of answering questions about Tiger's indiscretions and decided to address them on one fell swoop. I really didn't have a problem with it. Course, AN's history vis-a-vis non-white members and the fact that Tiger is non-white makes things a little thornier.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Someone needs to ask Tiger what box he checked for "race" in 2010 census. Surprised no on asked at the Monday presser.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think he had bigger problems trying to find out if he should include his wife and kids, or if she would be filling out her own.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I heard today that one of the TV announcers got kicked out of Augusta National for saying the greens looked like they were bikini waxed, or something along those lines. Not sure how long ago that was, but I'm guessing it was within the last few years.

Saying "bikini wax" = get thrown out.
    What Tiger did = a stern talking to.

Awesome.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Be funny if he got the invasive "long" form. Hope he filled it out. His Florida community could use some federal funds for new fire hydrants.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You really don't know about the bikini wax comment?

That was Gary McCord, and it wasn't back in the dark ages. It happened in 1995.

Who gives a shit what Billy Payne says about Tiger fucking around on his wife like the cheating POS he is? If Payne wants to say something, fine. The First Amendment gives everyone the right to say what they want.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If you guys weren't paying attention during the Martha Burk fiasco, these guys do things their way and really don't care about public perception.

Draft saved Draft deleted