1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone ask Billy Payne to STFU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 7, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

We here at Augusta National frown on that kind of behavior and we'd kindly ask you to leave the grounds. Of course, you are welcome to stop at our merchandise pavilion on your way out so the family has all its logoed apparel for its weekend viewing. We hope you had an enjoyable experience.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Considering Payne's record at hosting big-time sports events, why the members elected him head of Augusta National baffles me. It's not like many of them aren't talented people. Why they'd pick an untalented one?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Atlanta Olympics sucked, but the fact that Payne lured the Games to friggin' Atlanta is still amazing. Pretty sharp guy behind the good ol' boy front.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

agree 100 percent!

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Billy Payne. Where do I begin? The guy fucked up Atlanta forever in my opinion by bring the Olympics to town. Hell, come to think of it, he kind of fucked up the Olympic games there too.
    Billy needs a triple dose of STFU.
    Tiger Woods is a grown man, not a child. Who gave Billy Payne the right to scold a man for living his life? It's none of his damn business. I hope Tiger wins the tournament and tells Billy to take the green jacket and shove up his 18th hole.
    Billy you found out that a hero ain't nothing but a sandwich. Welcome to the real world.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to be a dick but who and what gives him the right?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tiger Woods is a public figure who makes millions upon millions as a public figure.

That gives us all the right.

The guy that cuts the grass at Augusta is not a public figure and does make a dime off of being a public figure.

That does not give us the right.

JRN 101

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

This isn't about journalism. It's about a guy taking advantage of a tournament being held at his club and using it to take a stance on an issue that has been addressed.
    I wouldn't consider Billy Payne a hero but apparently, he thinks of himself as being one.
    When Charles Barkley said athletes aren't heroes, he was ridiculed. However, I think he really spoke the truth. Your parents, teachers, the officer protecting the streets and the man fighting an apartment fire - those are heroes. Tiger Woods is a professional golfer.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I understand where you are coming from but I also realized that I learned more my parents and teachers than I did from athletes. But this guy used a tournament to bring Tiger to task. That was wrong. In fact, wasn't the purpose of Tiger speaking Monday directed at diverting such scrutiny? This genius just brought it all back to the forefront.
    Why?

10. 93Devil

Does Tiger Woods Nike line sell clothes for children?

[​IMG]
    Does he host kids golf clinics?

[​IMG]

Does he release family portraits to the media?

[​IMG]

Drip, Tiger played up the family fan, and that fuels a lot of the current fire.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 93Devil

Do you really think Payne did not get approval from the real guys running this tourney before popping off like that?

This will always be part of Tiger's life. It will never go away. He has to accept that, and I think over time he will be forgiven. But not this soon.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Billy Payne - a man in full.

Draft saved Draft deleted