1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone ask Billy Payne to STFU?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 7, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently the guy who's chairman of Augusta feels it necessary to scold Tiger like he's the hired help

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/golf/tiger-gets-an-augusta-scolding/article1526449/

“It is simply not the degree of his conduct that is so egregious here,” Payne said. “It is the fact that he disappointed all of us, and more importantly, our kids and our grandkids. Our hero did not live up to the expectations of the role model we saw for our children.”

It's hard to know where to begin with this blowhard's press conference.

Who decided Tiger was "our hero"?

Tiger's a role model? Since when?

Another reason to hate the Masters.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't have a huge problem with that. Tiger is taking refuge at Augusta so as to get back on his feet in golf without riffraff fans and paparazzi and out-for-blood media, and Augusta is now on the record as saying "fine, but you kinda suck." Good for them.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If it were anyone but the blowhards at Augusta, I'd agree.

But the scolding, and it coming from the Augusta National folks (and from a guy who is accused by some of greasing palms in the IOC), is kinda rich.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We'll silence Billy Payne, y'all deliver a bound and gagged Dick Pound. Deal?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And while everyone likes to point out the lack of female members along with the low number of black members, Payne was also in charge of the group flustercluck known as the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean he's wrong.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That was Payne (and Augusta's) way of saying "This is OUR tournament, which he is not bigger than."

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly, BYH. Sorry, JR, but with the good ol' boys down at Augusta, they can say whatever the hell they want to say, whenever the hell they want to say.

(Masters Translation = How dare you tell us to STFU. We put on a great tournament so that your fat ass can munch on chips and beer all weekend long and wishes you could play like Tiger.)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

From today's Toronto Star:

It is known that Woods asked for his security team to be allowed on to the course grounds, although the request was denied. So, too, was his request to live in one of the course’s many luxurious “cabins’’ – which are more like small resort hotels – located on the grounds.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd give Payne a lot more credit if he banned Woods from the tournament this year - or was as critical of some of the personal and professional misdeeds of his own membership.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

My dad knows Payne quite well and told me today that Payne's son dumped his wife and kids to marry a stripper.

That has nothing to do with Tiger, but I thought I'd share.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Would love to have someone follow Billy Payne around for a few months and see what he's up to.

What a piece of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted