1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Novitzky be under fire?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jun 12, 2007.

1. creamora

creamora Member

There MAY be more than just Novitzky who is outed soon. The prosecutors may have known about Novitzky's possible misconduct from the beginning and failed to take appropriate action. Some of the law enforcement who assisted Novitzky during the year long surveillance period may know details of his possible misconduct and come forward. Maybe they already have.

There also may be more than just Ellerman who eventually go down for the leaks. Larry McCormack may be the key to the truth coming out. He may know exactly what Fainaru-Wada may have done that was more serious than what has been revealed to this point. Dont' forget that McCormack was a police officer for more than 15 years before becoming a private investigator. He knows the law and the way investigations are supposed to be legally carried out. He also knows what the evidence is involving the relationship between Ellerman and Fainaru-Wada. Don't be surprised if he comes forward soon and sheds some more light upon Fainaru-Wada's role in the leaks and what he may have done after the government learned about Ellerman's illegal activities. In fact, there may be some hard evidence of wrongdoing by Fainaru-Wada of which the government is fully aware. McCormack may decide to take matters into his own hands and reveal more details about Fainaru-Wada's involvement. Remember that the government didn't break the story about Ellerman being the leaker. McCormack is the one who came forward and broke the story. Is it possible that the government didn't plan to announce the deal with Ellerman when they did? Is it possible that McCormack realized that the government was not taking timely action for some reason and he simply decided that the truth must be told? There certainly seems to be more that will be revealed about the leaks and the evidence obtained during the investigation. This next month MAY have some very interesting developments before Ellerman goes back before the judge.

2. creamora

creamora Member

Looks like Rains has finally placed Novitzky's balls up on the chopping table. In this bold move, it seems like Rains has decided to play
    a game of chicken with the government. The prosecutors Rains may be referring to are Jeff Nedrow and Matt
    Parilla from the San Jose office. It seems as though they may both have had knowldege of Novitzky's questionable activities in the case from early on. Notice how Rains says, "It has been committed by governmental officials." This seems to involve more than just Novitzky. Stay tuned!

Bonds' lawyer threatens to release criminal acts by prosecutors

By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY
    June 19, 2007

Mike Rains, the attorney for Barry Bonds, said Monday he is prepared to disclose criminal acts of misconduct by the lead investigator in the BALCO case if the government does not end its investigation of the San Francisco Giants slugger by August.
    Rains told USA TODAY he has evidence detailing improprieties committed by IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky and prosecutors. The evidence will be publicly disclosed, Rains said, if the grand jury is extended after its current term expires in July.

Starting in 2002, Novitzky led the BALCO investigation that netted five convictions, including that of Bonds' trainer, Greg Anderson.

"Barry Bonds has been crucified for five years," Rains said of his client who is seven home runs shy of tying Hank Aaron for baseball's career record. "I'm angry about this, I don't think this (investigation) should languish and linger indefinitely. When the grand jury term expires in July, and this doesn't all end, I intend to talk about this information."

The U.S. Attorney's office "knows what I have, and I'm sure it sent reverberations through their office."

The grand jury has been in session since at least 2005 listening to evidence that Bonds allegedly committed perjury when he testified to the BALCO grand jury in December 2003 he had never knowingly used steroids. Anderson has been imprisoned since November for refusing to testify.

"The stuff I have is much stronger than anything Barry has been accused of," Rains said. "It has been committed by governmental officials. It's fair to say it would be rather embarrassing."

Rains said he began sending letters in early May to interim U.S. Attorney Scott Schools that detail misconduct by the prosecution. According to Rains, Schools, who replaced BALCO prosecutor Kevin V. Ryan on Feb. 16, responded but did not divulge his intentions.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's office said Schools would not comment. Novitzky also did not return a telephone message for comment.

"My hope is that Scott Schools will do the right thing," Rains said, "end this thing and release Greg Anderson from custody. That's my real hope."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-06-18-bonds-grand-jury_N.htm?csp=34

Draft saved Draft deleted