1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Michael Jordan Still Play at 50?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 14, 2013.

?

Could Michael Jordan still play in The NBA at 50?

1. Yes

23.0%
  2. No

77.0%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In Wilt Chamberlain's final year averaging more than 20 rebounds a game, 1968-69, there were five other 7-footers in the NBA. One was teammate Mel Counts. Three were rookie stiffs: Tom Boerwinkle, who had a decent career being tall but not good, and Dave Newmark and Rich Nieman, who were so bad they couldn't even do that. And the last was injury-prone stiff Hank Finkel. All of them were 7-0, making 7-1 Chamberlain the tallest player in the NBA.

Lew Alcindor, 7-2, came into the NBA the next year. No one ever averaged 20 rebounds a game again.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Probably so ... which explains the stink bomb.

There's another question: What would Chamberlain do in today's NBA, where there's less importance placed on having a big man in the middle?

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

MJ could get 20 rebs per game in today's NBA.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I didn't vote because "Hell No" was not an option.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but if ESPN and Sports Illustrated haven't told me that he's 50, then I don't care that he's 50 or that Charles Barkley turns 50 next week either... :D

I think an older center or point guard would probably have an easier go of it than a shooting guard or a small forward.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 7-foot thing. Not when the list of 6-11s is so strong (Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, etc., just in Wilt's time).

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN has been rifuckingdiculous over the whole Jordan is 50 thing. It seems like they've been teasing it for over a month... But overkill is what ESPN does best...

I liked this week's SI, especially the story about the 1988 dunk contest. So many people forget how screwed Dominique got on his last dunk when he got a 45.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I really hope Sports Illustrated isn't moving toward ESPN: The Magazine theme issues. Not that I don't like ESPN: The Magazine theme issues. I do. But I'd like my two national sports magazines to be different.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's February. That explains a lot, I think.

Can't even build one of the Feb. editions off the swimsuits, cause that branched out on its own some time ago.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This.

Why the fuck is Jordan's 50th birthday being treated like a huge story? I'm plain baffled by the extent of coverage this is getting from ESPN and SI. I was a big Jordan fan when he played, but I couldn't give the slightest shit about his fucking birthday.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I figured it was essentially the bookend to this cover:

[​IMG]

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Barkley would have a better chance of playing in today's NBA than Jordan.

Draft saved Draft deleted