1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Michael Jordan Still Play at 50?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 14, 2013.

?

Could Michael Jordan still play in The NBA at 50?

1. Yes

23.0%
  2. No

77.0%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seeing Jordan on cover of SI this week got me wondering if Jordan could still play a few minutes and be effective.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

No. He was falling apart at 40. I suppose if you wanted him to play 2 minutes a game and bring him in at the end you could put his fat ass in the post at the end of the game and use him as a closer, but at 50 he'd be more LaTroy Hawkins in that role than Mariano Rivera. He could probably draw some fouls with his pump fakes, but that's about it. Also, you'd have to deal with him bitching about not playing 38 minutes.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Poker and golf?

Absolutely.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121551/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That picture is so dumb.

32 was Marcus Allen's number.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The strip across the top caught my eye. Another Miracle in 84? Nope. Not close.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My mistake. I do think he would have been falling apart at 40. Knee injury at 38 that finished his season, then played all 82 while turning 40 in Feb. of final season. I don't think the 2004 season would have gone as smoothly as 2003, but perhaps. But I don't know if even training would help him at this point. At that age your body's going to have a limited number of trips up and down the court (similar to Kobe last year hardly practicing at all, saving himself for the games). Serious training would open him up to the chance of picking up an injury before he even gets the chance to play.

Now, do I think Kareem at 65 would be better in the final minute of a game than Dwight Howard because he could throw up a hook from 12-15 feet? Yes.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And he's not wearing his I hate white people hat.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's wearing his I Hate White People face

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Gretzky would be a better hockey player at 50 than Jordan would be a basketball player at 50.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong, Gretzky would be killed playing at 50.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the true question is could he play a few minutes and still be effective? Sure...

Would that include him driving to the hoop? No... Would that include him dunking? No...

I think he could go out there and hold his own for five minutes or so. Pass it around, shoot a 3, nothing special... He wouldn't embarrass himself.

Could he play anything resembling a full game? Hell no...

Draft saved Draft deleted