1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Mark Cuban be college football's savior?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wheateater, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wheateater

wheateater Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5924399

I'm not always a Mark Cuban fan, but I'd imagine his national popularity could be about to skyrocket. This will be very interesting to watch develop.

If the schools are too stupid to make it happen on their own, I say, go make a killing off that stupidity, Mark.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I didn't realize college football was in need of a savior. It seems to be doing quite well without one.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is dumb. Really, really dumb. For real. We all know that college football needs a playoff and it is going to take someone with a lot of power (money) to make it happen. Allow me to jump on the Cuban bandwagon.

Also, here's the money graph:

"Cuban, who is reading the book "Death to the BCS," said he thinks it would take about three or four years of planning before enacting the playoff system. He believes it's a better business opportunity than owning a baseball team, and he admits he's intrigued by the idea of revolutionizing a major sport."

The power of Dan Wetzel.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The resistance to a playoff just baffles me. Teams No. 17 through whatever can continue to play in bowls and they'll have the same meaning they have now.

Put the top 16 teams in a playoff and not only will it be massively profitable for colleges, but it has the potential to be bigger than the Super Bowl.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Hyperbole much?

College football could potentially be made better with a playoff system, but could you point to some concrete evidence that shows college football needs to be saved? I didn't realize it was in danger of going anywhere.

6. Mizzougrad96

College football's regular season is great.

College football's postseason is the worst in sports.

Wouldn't you want to fix that if you could?

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yep, I just don't get it either. I think the money pit for a playoff would be so much bigger than the BCS.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Yes, but using the word "savior" implies that college football is in danger of disappearing without a playoff. That's not going to happen.

9. Mizzougrad96

First round

No. 16 Oklahoma State at No. 1 Auburn
    No. 15 Alabama at No. 2 Oregon
    No. 14 Missouri at No. 3 TCU
    No. 13 Nevada at No. 4 Wisconsin
    No. 12 Virginia Tech at No. 5 Stanford
    No. 11 LSU at No. 6 Ohio State
    No. 10 Boise State at No. 7 Michigan State
    No. 9 Oklahoma at No. 8 Arkansas

Put those eight games on two days on a Friday and Saturday in December and you would have two of the best sports days of the year.

And that's just the first round.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Go TCU!!! ;)

11. Well, to address the original point of the thread, I don't believe the one obstacle to a college football playoff all these years has been the lack of a grandstanding billionaire willing to invest in it. (And I generally like Cuban).

There are a lot of obstacles (real and perceived) to a playoff. Cuban fixes none of them.

12. Mizzougrad96

That would have been my upset pick. :)

We'd get another round of office pools.

Draft saved Draft deleted