1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could LeBron James Really Play in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 6, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Iverson is a good call. How much extra weight did he need to put on to play at higher levels? 30 or 40 pounds?

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

James could absolutely (eventually) play some kind of TE.

There is zero chance he could play OLB or DE as Barnwell suggests in that piece. He would be so badly embarrassed, he would not last three games.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he could play tight end in a system where the TE doesn't have blocking as a key duty.

Would he be any good? Can he take a hit? Those are the questions that are impossible to answer unless he puts on the pads. LeBron is in incredible shape and has the size that might translate to the NFL, but it's one thing to be big and it's another to be able to sustain a hit from someone like JJ Watt, Patrick Willis, Von Miller etc...

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think he would fit into a system like The Pats play with Gronkowski, but as Mizzou
    wrote, can he take a hit.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Loved watching him. My second favorite player of his time behind Gary Payton.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As others have noted, I have no earthly idea why anyone would want to leave the NBA - the land of guaranteed contracts and highest average salary of the four major sports - for the NFL, with contracts that aren't worth the paper they're printed on and the lowest average salary of the four major sports

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Ego, maybe? Football is king.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I don't think he has any interest at all. It's just an entertaining hypothetical.

9. Boom_70

Doug Flutie played hoops for BC a few years.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sam Clancy played basketball at Pitt then went to the NFL, I don't think he played football at Pitt.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can't recall where, but I remember hearing a quote once attributed to Urban Meyer, after scouting young Lebron back in his Ohio early days at Bowling Green, that he was the best receiving prospect he'd ever seen at that age.

I think the answer to the question is that IF Lebron had chosen to focus on football instead of basketball, YES, he certainly was capable of becoming an outstanding tight end or receiver in the NFL. He has all the tools other successful basketball to TE converts like Antonio Gates, Marcus Pollard and Jimmy Graham have, except that he's even faster, bigger and more athletic than all those guys--if they successfully made the conversion, there's no reason Lebron couldn't do it even better.

But could he do it NOW, starting at this age? I doubt it, nor would he have any incentive to ever consider giving it a try.

12. Boom_70

Chip Hilton played both football and basketball for State.

Draft saved Draft deleted