1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could be Columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am going to write a column about Players Who Could Be NBA Point Guards Someday.

#1 will have to be Jeremy Lin.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't forget Chris Paul and Jason Kidd... :D

3. onceuponaX

onceuponaX New Member

Nice.

Also...let's see some birth certificates (some of those listed are more than a few months past 40).

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's weird. I actually meant to write something, thought I did, and apparently didn't. Now it seems I thought it was half-assed, which I didn't.

What I meant to write was: Mizzou, since you read a lot and concern yourself with the best frequently - this is an observation, not a critique - why you don't you create a list? Top 32. 8 in each region: East, West, Midwest, South. And 2 from each region need to be from papers with less than 150,000 daily circ. So a non-top 50 paper. Then seed them, 1 to 32.

Call it a challenge. Let's see if you're up to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_States_by_circulation

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Seems like an awful lot of work just to win a message board argument.

6. Mizzougrad96

Alma,

So far, the only person who has been ripped by name on this thread is Kindred, and I'm going out on a limb and guessing that he can handle the criticism.

I would have been much better equipped to do this in 2008 when I still worked in journalism and was fresh off a round of APSE judging...

Now, aside from big-name columnists and beat writers, most of the people who I read on a regular basis are my friends, and some of those friends were on Kindred's list.

I have a couple issues with Kindred's list, but the majority of my problem with it is that he listed people who are already columnists, many who have been for a long, long time... That's proof that he put very little thought into the list.

I have a close friend who is listed, who told me, "It would have meant a lot more if he hadn't listed Mellinger, who is the lead columnist of one of the best papers in the country."

Since, I have been so critical of Kindred, I will also say that if I made a list, there would unquestionably be at least 20 names that would be repeated.

I just think there are several of those writers who were listed, who I doubt Kindred has ever read. If he had, he wouldn't be listing guys who have been major columnists for major papers for over a decade as "someone to watch" to become a columnist.

7. Mizzougrad96

This too... :D

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, it's no argument to me. I suggested it to one in sincerity, and another the same. It's not some dare. But however you please it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am feeling a great deal of nostalgia reading Mizzou getting into a discussion about sports journalism and young f-ing studs.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't know those guys anymore. One of the guys whose praises I was singing well over a decade ago was on Kindred's list. If you're under 25 and you don't cover the NFL or one of the handful of college teams that I cover on a regular basis, it's a safe bet I haven't heard of them. Most of the writers on Kindred's list fell into the 30-45 age range.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm just fondly recalling the days when this site was about 90 percent journalism shop talk. It was awesome.

12. Mizzougrad96

I fondly remember the days when the majority of the people on this site still had jobs in journalism... :D

Such is life... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted