1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could be Columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I work with one of the people who is already a columnist and has been for a decade, I give them shit saying "Hey, Dave Kindred thinks you might be good someday! Good luck with that search for a columnist job!!!"

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If I worked with one of the many fine under-40 columnists who aren't on the list, I'd never, ever, ever stop giving them shit about it under any circumstance. Chip Scoggins, you must SUCK. Same to you, Jason Reid.

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I must be getting soft in my increasing age because my impulse in the past would have been to say something catty about the list, the person who compiled it or the abilities of the people on it.

Now I just see it as someone established trying to say something nice about some younger folks. Maybe it's imperfect, but the intent sure was nice. Had I been included on that list, I'd certainly have been flattered.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I think the truth of Kindred's imperfection lies somewhere between his "may be" and "are" sloppiness and the "this list is bunk" vitriol of some respondents. It's a nice thought from Kindred and it throws some nice attention to some nice and deserving people.

What is wrong with that?

The point is, if the point was, to say that there are people who will still grow and kick ass in this business who work for newspapers. Don't say there's no future for newspaper sports columns, because these FEW he has pointed out are among those who might do it in the future. As I read it, it was never meant to be "the top 45 under 40" as I've heard it characterized today. It's just a sampling of the many, hundreds, of great young (ish) folks who will carry the business into the future.

Mellinger shouldn't feel slighted because Kindred didn't bump him due to his columnist status, JReid shouldn't be pissed that he wasn't "nominated." It's not comprehensive nor is it definitive. It's one dude saying that things aren't as bleak as we always say they are. And isn't that why you come to this site anyway? For encouragement?

Maybe I'm a sap, but I bought it.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My only real problem with Kindred's column is that he's not addressing any of the real issues. Will there be anyone to pay these people to "Be there"? Will sports writing take on a completely new tone that trends toward blogging, micro-blogging and long form? If that were to happen, would it even be a bad thing? Why are sports columnists even valuable in the first place? Why should anyone want to be a general columnist in an era in which expertise and specialization are becoming increasing valuable?

He's saying there is a lot of talent in the journalism world. We all know that. That's an obvious assertion for a readership that might venture to a site such as sportsjournalism.org. His list of names is meaningless and wildly inconsistent. That's fine to a degree, as you say. Kindred's just too good for something so shallow. He didn't address a single valid, intelligible concern about sports journalism's future in a column that purports to elaborate on whether sports journalism and sports columnists are doomed.

6. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Odd story.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Just random name-dropping. "Here are some people who someone said they liked, though I know them so little myself that they may or may not be under 40, or may actually already be columnists for several years, but we're including them anyway. Enjoy and discuss!"

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In related news, Peter Gammons thinks Matt Kemp may wind up being a decent player and Adam Schefter thinks this QB in Green Bay might be worth keeping an eye on.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Kindred was just trying to do something nice, and I'm guessing he isn't getting paid for these columns. Still...it does seem that Romanesko put more effort into Kindred's column than Kindred did. Romanesko actually took the time to google these guys and gals and link to their Twitter feeds. If Kindred's point is that there is plenty of young talent in newspapers, didn't he kind of strike a blow for the other side of the argument by not even bothering to read any of the people his four well-connected friends suggested?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Kindred also made it seem like other than the LA Times, there is almost no young talent west of the Rockies, which we all know is garbage.

I'm surprised Bob Ryan wasn't on the list.

11. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Talk about some out of touch, waste of time crap. Dude should really do his research first. Wonder why our business is going to shiznit. Half-ass reporting and shock journalism... LOL!

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No.

That's not why I come to this site at all.

I come here because the discussion should be expected to be at a high level, and because I seek news produced by sports journalists, and about sports journalism itself.

And if I'm looking for any kind of "encouragement," I prefer it not be disseminated by someone who has proven repeatedly that they have their head in the sand.

Draft saved Draft deleted