1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could be Columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting look by Dave Kindred, happy to see one of my crew mentioned

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/02/14/young-sports-journalists-who-could-be-columnists/

2. Moderator1

I see now this is being discussed on the other thread, where I didn't think to look. Oh well - I figure it deserves its own. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Moderator D_B. The rarest kind.

4. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Being a moderator means you never have to say you're D_B sorry.:)

5. Moderator1

Not as rare as I'd like it to be - but I only get .37 DB demerits because a thread-worthy discussion was hidden in another thread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You could just delete the first thread. You have that power.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Sam Mellinger is the K.C. Star's columnist. Not as good as Poz, not as stoopid as Whitless.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Quite a few on that list are already columnists. There are a few more who have already been columnists before layoffs came down.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

At first, I was pissed I didn't see my name on there.

And then I realized I'm not "young" any more.

So I take away from this the comfort (delusion?) that I'm not included on that list ONLY because I'm too old.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Kindred, but there are some writers on that list who are on absolutely no one's radar to become columnists.

And considering how many on that list have been columnists for a long, long time, I'm guessing very little thought was put into it.

Jerry Brewer has been a columnist for over a decade.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Totally agree.
    Also, I wish I could get with Dave's view on Simmons, but I can't. It's really sad that wanting to write like a passionate fan is something to be aspired to. I wanna have a little talk with those kids.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a plenty big Kindred fan, but I don't understand the point of this exercise.

Draft saved Draft deleted