1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cotton Bowl Moving to JerryWorld in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But people (at least people outside of this board) won't blame the Sugar Bowl, they'll cast blame on the city itself.

This next year is going to be critical for New Orleans -- and I'm not just talking about sports, even though they'll be hosting two major events six weeks apart from each other early next year. It sounds like there's already concerns about both events being staged well. If that's the case, it's the city that needs to step in and take control.

2. standman

standman Member

Absolutely agree. As for the attendance this year, the Cotton Bowl usually suffers when two teams with no Texas ties meet.

As for this being a money move, so what? Bowls are non-profit organizations. What non-profit organization you know of doesn't want to maximize earnings. Sure, bowls benefit charities but they aren't charities.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Try three events.

Don't forget, Mardi Gras will fall right in there somewhere.

Sugar Bowl: Jan. 1
    Mardi Gras: Feb. 5
    NBA All-Star Weekend: Feb. 15-17

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Someone on another thread posted a column that asked if Stern was seriously considering New Orleans for Feb. 1-3, 2008. I assumed those were the dates. Is it definite All-Star Weekend is Feb. 15-17? Having it after Mardi Gras season would definitely help.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Plus that first weekend in February is always Super Bowl Sunday now.

6. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Glad to see this happen.

I went to the stadium in January 2005 and couldn't believe how awful it was.
    Just thinking about a sold-out crowd there made me cringe.

Unfortunately this was the last major sporting event still being held there so I doubt we'll ever see another event there.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, it's four.

BCS Championship Game: Jan. 8

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yes, the only "big-time" stadium I have seen that is worse than the Cotton Bowl is the Orange Bowl. Both should be razed, posthaste.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually, it's five.

New Orleans Bowl: Dec. 21
    BCS Championship Game: Jan. 8

;D

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Good call, but it was absolutely a no-brainer.

As Armchair pointed out, the Cotton and Fiesta are the two most media-friendly bowls.

New stadium (100,000 seats, is that right?) with all the bells and whistles.

And don't forget, it's already got a partnership with Fox, the BCS network.

The Cotton Bowl will matter again soon. And college football will be better for it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As for the other bowls, it could be taking a step toward shoving the Rose Bowl out of the mix, if th organizers dont play along and be assimilated into the neat little BCS package like the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange are with Fox.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If they go to a "Plus One" system they won't shove anybody out. They'll just add a fifth site and continue to play two games in one location.

It'll really get interesting if they drop the two games in one location idea though. If that happens then they would need to add TWO games to the rotation. Cotton Bowl would get one site but who would get the other one? Atlanta? Orlando?

Draft saved Draft deleted