1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cotton Bowl Moving to JerryWorld in 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Sugar Bowl folks don't operate the New Orleans Bowl.

However, the Fiesta Bowl does run the Insight Bowl so they did run three games last year.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

spoken like someone who's never been to the orange bowl

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm assuming this is Katrina-related, but could someone please expound on this reasoning? Thanks.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

See Neighborhood, Bad.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

I had heard terrible things about the actual Cotton Bowl stadium, but I didn't think it was bad at all when I covered a recent game there. It had a nice historic feel to it. Press box was a bit cramped, but nothing to complain about.

And it's not even in a neighborhood, really. It's in the fairgrounds.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I agree with Busuncle. I, too, recently covered a game there and I didn't find anything wrong with the area. The surrounding neighborhood may be bad, but the Fairgrounds are really big and seem very insulated. The architecture, apparently, is the one of the largest groupings of Art Deco-style architecture in the country.

While the pres box wasn't huge, it didn't need to be. I didn't find the stadium to be in disrepair at all.

this is a money move, quite obviously. to compete with the big boys, the Cotton Bowl, sadly, has to move to bigger, better confines. But the stadium wasn't even sold out this year, so a bigger stadium isn't necessarily a better move. History changes, though, and the Cotton Bowl will still be the Cotton Bowl even if it isn't being played at the Cotton Bowl.

7. Freelance Hack

Bigger stadium = better sponsors

Better sponsors = increased bowl payouts

Increased bowl payouts = better teams

Better teams = sell-out crowds

Sell-out crowds = mo money, mo money, mo money

8. Armchair_QB

Not really. The Sugar Bowl was poorly run before the hurricane.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

To a certain extent, yes, and with less of a serviceable infrastructure in the city, it's likely to strain the good folks at the Sugar Bowl. The Cotton Bowl, in my experience, has always been top-notch in terms of making it a good working environment for the media. The Sugar: a notch below.

10. Freelance Hack

So it's more the organization itself than the city?

If that's the case, why wouldn't NOLA officials try to put together a NC Game committee? I'd be willing to wager they've had similar groups come together to host Super Bowls.

Let the Sugar Bowl worry about the Sugar Bowl and this other committee worry about the week following.

11. Armchair_QB

From a media standpoint the Cotton Bowl and Fiesta Bowl are the best bowl operations you'll find.

12. Armchair_QB

Because the right to the national championship game belongs to the Sugar Bowl, not the city of New Orleans.

Draft saved Draft deleted