1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costly change is coming: Pat Haden expects NCAA to lose Ed O'bannon suit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 2, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ed O'Bannon could very well go down as the eventual killer of the NCAA.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130402/ed-obannon-ncaa-case-primer/

(corrected spelling)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Costly change is coming: Pat Hayden expects NCAA to lose Ed O'bannon suit

I can't wait, even if this does change 93Devil's viewing habits which is really the most important thing here.

College sports is the single strangest thing about American culture.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anyone who loves the cesspool that is AAU basketball - and the pimps that control it - will love what major college athletics would become if the worst-case scenario comes true here.

Money would most definitely change hands but it would wind up in the pimps' hands, not the players'.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As opposed to jerk offs like the Steve Alfords and Gene Smiths?

btw - Haden's name is misspelled.

5. Armchair_QB

They'll still get paid.

Delany's point about the tax implications of this is interesting too. And, once again, this will do more harm to the people its allegedly supposed to help than it will to the people many want to see hurt.

That said, if I was a president or an athletic director I'd have zero confidence in Mark Emmert's ability to win the day on this.

6. Armchair_QB

BTW, it's Pat Haden.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would be tremendously awesome to be in the room when Jim Delaney tells Ohio State and Michigan they're going D-III. I'd pay good money for a ticket.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If Big 10 is going to a non-tv, non scholarship model, the Ohio State AD is no longer making $2 mil a year.

And I am not sure what's so tricky about an athlete receiving a W-2, just like a fry cook at McDonald's.

9. Armchair_QB

The Big 10 is not doing that. Delany's full of shit in that regard.

I don't see anything tricky about it either. I think Delany's point is that O'Bannon & Co. are looking at this as free money. But it's not. Uncle Sam always gets paid and the lawyers will take most of it up front.

If you're an athlete the better deal is working additional money into your scholarship, that way it's tax free. Of course if you do that, you're only giving the extra money to football and men's basketball players and that's not going to fly.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought of this when I saw Victor Oladipo -- in full uniform -- in an Adidas ad in the Indiana student union bookstore.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Contributions won't be tax deductible.

12. Armchair_QB

IU - and every other college that does that - has nobody to blame but themselves if O'Bannon wins. There was a time when colleges were smart enough to prevent themselves from using ads like that. Using kid's likenesses on video games was a stupid idea too.

Draft saved Draft deleted