1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costco Unplugs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Won't our Priuses turn into Hummers if they keep eating McDonalds?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Some. Day. The. Oil. Is. Going. To. Be. Gone.

We can either start trying to figure out what to do about it now, when most credible authorities think we have several decades left until it happens, or we can wait until somebody announces, "we have five years left" and gas goes to $500 a gallon.

Happily, I'll probably be dead when that happens. God help those who aren't.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is so silly. A half hour charge let's you drive 48 miles.

And, imagine if someone else is already charging when you pull up. Yet, they're still going to install these things.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think the idea would be to eventually charge your cars up at home.

Come home, plug in your car, go in the house.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's fine if you only want to drive around town or have a short commute.

On 110V, you can charge your car overnight.

If the electric car is ever going to replace our current cars, it needs to be more efficient.

220V charges a car faster. These fast charging stations run on 480V, 3Phase power. They're very expensive, and they still take 30 minutes or more.

That makes the idea of a family vacation or a business trip with your electric car nearly impossible.

Yet, they're still installing these chargers up and down I-5. Who the hell is going to use them?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought these hybrids are supposed to switch over to gasoline after the 50-mile charge runs out. It's supposed to be designed for short drives, like commuting to work, with saving on gas for those short hops.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree with you that it will run out eventually. But my question for you is what you expect the average person to do about it. Until someone more intelligent than you or I comes up with a solution, we have no choice but to continue the way we are.

I also agree with the earlier poster who talked about the advances in cell phones. There have been so many technological advances in the last 50 years, so why hasn't someone come up with a viable answer to the oil problem?

Until a solution is figured out, I get tired of people telling me to stop living my life with the only options that are available to me.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nobody right now. And I agree it's too early to put a whole lot of thought into infrastructure -- although if I'm reading the story correctly this is not a public investment, so the company can do what it wants.

But we're in the early adopter stage, and there is promise. Maybe it ends up being for naught, but it's too early to say right now. I look at it and I think there's a good analogy to the famous quote "computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by Oberfuhrer Bachmann

Draft saved Draft deleted