1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costas, Whitlock and gun control

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 3, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Please tell us, in Alma's perfect world, what else would be banned?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is the EXACT kind of crime gun control would reduce -- sudden snap crimes of deadly violence. The mass murderers plan their lunacy too well, but a seemingly normal guy who goes off the tracks is able to commit a lot more mayhem if he's got a handgun handy.
    I believe firearms should be treated like cars. Nobody says we're not free to own cars, but they must be registered, inspected, and most of all, insured to be owned and operated legally. If gun owners had to pay liability insurance for their toys, there'd be fewer gun owners. Or we could just tax them at an exorbitant rate. The power to tax is utterly constitutional.

3. YankeeFan

Well sure, we could place all sorts of restrictions in the way of exercising First Amendment rights, the right to vote, or the right to an abortion.

But, if the point of the restrictions is strictly to reduce access, then they are not constitutional.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah yes, in which we leave out the part of the Second Amendment that says "a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state ..."

5. YankeeFan

Taxing guns and ammunition as a form of gun control has been proposed:

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep. To act like this is some kind of principled stand for originalism is about the biggest joke running.

7. YankeeFan

No need to leave it out.

If a totalitarian government -- either homegrown, or as the result of an invading force -- were to take hold in America, you and your neighbors might need to form a well regulated militia in order to preserve and/or restore a Free State.

The fact that it is possible, makes the likelihood that it would be necessary small.

8. YankeeFan

Not at all. Citizen Militias. Red Dawn. Wolverine!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maybe we're going down the wrong path here ... perhaps Costas is tiring of the sporting life and wants the "Meet the Press" gig? Remember all the fuss when he wanted to do an editorial during the Opening Ceremony in London over a moment of silence for the Munich victims?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But you are arguing that reducing access is not constitutional -- which is plainly false as evidenced by the number of gun laws that already exist, and which doesn't jibe with the "well regulated militia" portion of the amendment.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The enormous difference is that these 18th century citizen militias were not some hypothetical conjured during a survivalist's late-night wet dream. They were real things, and necessary, due to the way society functioned in that era before the transportation revolution.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

First, I don't own a handgun. Have two deer rifles that, shit, haven't been used in years. I guess they are protection in case we're attacked in our home, but I haven't used them for that and don't figure to.
    But I don't want to tell someone else they can't have one. I just don't get why we can't emphasize to the extreme accountability and consequences for those who can't handle the responsibility.

And for those who think this athlete, or any athlete, can't kill their spouse with their own bare hands if they didn't have a gun, well, they're just not paying attention. It doesn't address the anger / emotion that gets someone to that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted