1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costas Town Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As Tony LaRussa's press agent, Buzz ought to look in a mirror.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

thanks Fenian.....

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Agreed there, but Leitch is a turkey who needed to be picked clean.

No idea the guy was actually that much of a nimrod.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Alan Sepinwall weighs in:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/04/buzz-vs-blogs.html

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that youtube link. Good television, but in part because Bissinger was just nuts. Settle down, man.

I don't have a problem with Costas noting comments as if they were BLOG! posts. Yes, those of us here know the difference and Costas does too, but I fully agree that comments mar the value of the original product when they're all tossed together on the same web page. Leitch should have to answer for his BLOG!'s comments just like papers should answer for their anonymous-comment crap.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Bissinger didn't eat anyone for lunch, despite Leitch's failing to substantiate his own argument.

Buzz sounded like a cross between Lewis Black and this guy....
    http://www.jibjab.com/view/171355

as for the comments issue. most newspapers have comment sections now, try visiting a story about barack obama, see what you come up with. it's a lot worse at times than any deadspin commentator ripping on sean salisbury.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They really should have reached for a more neutral "comment" target than Salisbury. The guy WAS a tool whose self-regard is grotesquely exaggerated, and deserved most of the tomatoes thrown at him.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was Barbaro mentioned at all last night? He/it was a favorite Deadspin target, and Bissinger wrote a really sappy piece about the death in Vanity Fair last year. Maybe he posts on the Barbaro message board that was overrun by Deadspin commenters.

9. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

Yeah, total nimrod. What's he doing at the helm of the most popular sports blog known to mankind, when he could be working at a glorious newspaper and reveling in threads such as these from the first couple of pages of the "Journalism topics only" board:

* 80-90 cuts expected at the OC Register
    * The ongoing slide into the black hole
    * Entire newspaper shut down
    * Web Width Reductions
    * Raleigh News and Observer offers buyouts to 204 of 900 employees
    * Cuts at the Washington Times?

Actually, I should also include the "ABC Top 25 (March '08)" and "Poynter: The six-word journalism motto" threads on that list. What they lack in depressing titles, they more than make up in nightmarish, hand-wringing despair.

Leitch could have defended himself more eloquently, but I can't blame him for being taken aback by that spittle-spewing jackass. Wasn't Bissinger supposed to be positioning himself as the sort of responsible, intelligent, thoughtful professional - in short, the grown-up - that the blogosphere allegedly lacks? Hmmm ... how'd that work out?

Anyone who dislikes blogs is free to avoid them and even to chortle about how ol' Buzz really stuck it to that Leitch punk, but the new media will have the last laugh. The free market is not kind to obsolete products, and that includes old news printed on dead trees. Technology will not stop evolving to suit our outmoded business model. And the freedom of speech that we claim to love will continue to serve all Americans who wish to make their voices heard, whether they squandered four years in journalism school or not.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I want to find fault with that post.

Um, uh...

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This guy went gold in Sweden.

[​IMG]

For music.

So, your point?

As for the rest, rich man's war, poor man's fight, I left the front lines years ago.

12. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

My point is, calling Leitch a "nimrod" and a "turkey who needed to be picked clean" is akin to the passengers on the Titanic crowing about what a sharp blow they delivered to that stupid iceberg.

I'm glad to hear that you've left the front lines. Many, many more will soon follow, because the dead-tree product will inevitably go the way of the horse buggy, the eight-track and the betamax. When that day comes, bloggers will still be blogging, and anonymous commenters will still be making anonymous comments. Bissinger's incoherent rants, Costas' sanctimony and anyone else's childish insults won't do a damn thing to change that.

Draft saved Draft deleted