1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costas Town Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 28, 2008.

1. It's a small town, Costasopolis.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Manhattan White Pages for EVERYBODY!

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'll support strahan on this one. he took advantage of a rare opportunity to call russo out on his/fatso's penchant for sucking up during an interview and then ripping the guy once he's hung up. chickenshit bastids, they are. good for him.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Russo's atrocious, in this area. Deserves to be slapped, and hard.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For those who didn't see it, some recaps. For those who did, a chance to sift through the smoldering wreckage. The show repeats tonight at 6:30.

http://deadspin.com/385513/of-jimmy-olson-spittle-and-the-dying-of-the-light

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/29/buzz-bissinger-freaks-out-at-will-leitch/

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/

And last but not least, BDD/KSK goes out of its way - intentionally, I'm sure - to make Bissinger's point for him.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does anyone else worry that sports journalism is turning into a season of The Hills?

You're so lame.

No, you're so lame.

OMG. I can't believe he even still talks to you.

You think you're better than me because you won't talk to him? You have no standards.

Maybe I just say what I feel instead of smile in people's faces and then stab them in back.

Yeah right, talking shit just to embarrass people is really noble.

You're such a joke. I can't believe I was ever friends with you. All we do now is laugh at you.

You're pathetic. I'm leaving. Some of us have to, like, go to work.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The last time you were popular was like 10 years ago!

Bitch!

Bitch!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The usage of the blog "comments" by Costas et al was really ham-handed and ignorant.

The Sun-Sentinel Web site just removed a comment board filled with racist invective, regarding a story about a shooting at a local college campus. Much, much worse than anything Costas produced yesterday in an attempt to delegitimize freaking Deadspin.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Big Sexy's patch-elbow jacket was among the highlights for me, as was Costas' oddly huge head. Or was it that I was Benadryl'ed up ... I yelled "Pimp daddy!" when Whitlock first appeared, startling Mrs. Rockbottom from a gentle slumber.

Wilbon, for all his PTI hollering, is an insightful mofo. The rant about LeBron on the Vogue cover was priceless. Tiki was CLEARLY overmatched sitting between those two and across from Costas.

I could have watched it for hours. Seriously. I think guys like McEnroe, Whitlock and Wilbon can carry on intelligent conversations, and I wanted more. I see the point about HBO getting miniscule ratings for something like that, but still ... And rant about Costas all you want: who else is making those kind of conversations happen on a national scale?

rb

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I laughed. Should I feel bad?

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I watched it as well and for the most part thought it was good. For whomever asked why they called it a "town hall" if no questions were asked, well, probably that's just the generic name they use now plus there was so much packed into 1 1/2 hours, who the hell had time for questions? They barely had enough time for the panel discussions.

Segment 1: Talk radio - Once Albom said things about journalistic ethics, I tuned him out. He didn't have that much interesting to say anyway. Also, on the video piece, Mariotti said something about how it is people just yelling back and forth (hello, isn't he on Around the Horn?), so he quickly was crossed off as well. Strahan was good (and I hate the Giants). Russo tried to hold his own and did admit they thrive on negativity.

Segment 2: Bloggers - As mentioned, this was the most incendiary. I'm not sure what else I can add. I think Deitch was in a tough spot vs. Bissinger and Costas. Hell, Edwards acted the most professional. Although it was interesting to hear Costas say "fuck face." (I did like the fact that Deitch said something along the lines if you can't tell the difference between a blog post and a comment you're in trouble)

Segment 3: Sports TV - As I expected, the most inane. The three personalities tried to act more like personalities rather than say anything interesting. I've now seen Dan Patrick on TV twice in the last couple of months (he was on Letterman) and he has been an idiot on both. I hate Joe Buck, but he was the most lucid and perhaps the only one to answer a "real" question (about whether Fox tells him not to talk about certain things).

Segment 4: Athletes and the media - Could have been more interesting; also seems like this one was cut a little short. Tiki Barber didn't really add much except for one thing - basically saying he distrusted all media which is why players don't want to get close to reporters (of course, it was during a walk around town with a reporter that he spilled his retirement news). I hated McEnroe as a kid, but he seemed to have some salient points.

Segment 5: Race - Whitlock seemed a bit more subdued, and I liked it. He did call out Winslow and ESPN and gave some reasoning for his thought process. Wilbon came off as a cranky old man in some of the video pieces, but he's so smooth that it's hard not to listen to him in a forum like this. Cris Carter made one point (I don't remember which) that seemed like it meant nothing, but he did try to give the athlete's point of view. Again, too short a subject, but nice that they will revisit it with its own "town hall" later this year. Also interesting that McNabb wouldn't come on the show because of the maelstrom from his comments in September that aired on HBO.

Overall: Good show, despite some of the panel guests, but also a little too squeezed in. It's hard to make any headway when you can only talk for 10 minutes (although the blog segment seemed to be the longest).

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Amen Shockey although Francesa is worse that Mad Dog at the rip game. You at least have to give MD some credit for calling out Mike Milbury.

I remember there was a time before that Devils won a few Stanley Cups that they cluelessy made fun of Lou Lamoriello as a know nothing hockey guy.

One day Lou came on and they treated him like he was their Uncle. It was the only time I ever felt compelled to call the show. Got on - gave them the obligatory "long time listener / love the show bs " then dropped the hammer.
    I asked them why after all the years of criticising his work that when they finaly had him on they treated him like he was Uncle Lou their long lost uncle.
    Russo gave a half baked "all we can do is ask the questions " then cut me off.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

They are phonies. They don't know what's going on with the NYC area teams since they never show up at the stadiums or arenas.

Draft saved Draft deleted