1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COSTAS NOW on state of baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Pete and I would bet that Gibby would throw a heater high and tight at Willie's head when they meet again in Cooperstown in a few weeks.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I agreed with him wholeheartedly on the Hall of Fame selections.

A guy isn't good enough to be inducted for five years, 10 years, and suddenly he's good enough? His stats didn't change and, if anything, the steroid era would have made them look worse in comparison, not better. But suddenly he's in.

Somebody during that panel, talking about one of the players (maybe Bonds or Clement?) said the voters would not vote for him the first year – to teach him a lesson or make their protest known – and then probably let him in.

That's why I have a hard time taking it seriously, and I was a voter this year for the first time.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ballscribe, this might be a dumb question, since you are a voter. Given all of the arguments, all of the controversies, and head scratching over Cooperstown, what is your guidelines for someone to garner consideration and election to HOF?

Do you place high priority on stats? Is it the contribution to the game as a player, manager, front office? A remarkable play that became a significant part of baseball history? What would get your attention, is what I'm trying to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted