1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COSTAS NOW on state of baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

So it was just a coincidence that the Reds started to play good ball when Pete was manger?

2. KP

KP Active Member

Tom Browning coming out of nowhere to win 20 games certainly helped.

3. the fop

the fop Member

Absolutely. Also, Rose had the good fortune to manage the team when the pipeline to the minors also was stocked with position players, the guys GM Bill Bergesch called the Crown Jewels. Eric Davis, Paul O'Neill, Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo all came up to stay during those years.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Eric Davis could and should have been extraordinary.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Couldn't they do that now if they wanted to?

Independent League teams, like the St. Paul Saints and Newark Bears, aren't governed by MLB's ineligible lists.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point, though I think those teams might try to stay off MLB's shit list.

7. Steak Snabler

True, but it didn't stop them from signing JD Drew, or more recently, Luke Hochevar.

I'm guessing at least one of those teams has approached Pete at one time or another in the last 19 years, and he turned them down.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That definitely sounds possible.

Rose's situation is different from Drew and Hochevar. They weren't on any ineligible lists. They were simply hold outs.

9. Steak Snabler

Finally finished watching the whole program. Everything after the first segment (Rose, Hall of Fame, etc.) was just so-so.

The last segment with Mays and Aaron on stage, and Bob Gibson and Jim Palmer in the audience, was fairly entertaining. The look on Gibson's face when Mays called him a "headhunter" was priceless.

Mays seemed in pretty good humor in this venue, by the way. And Aaron, as always, was a class act.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved that segment. Any time I can listen to the old-timers speak, I'm completely entertained.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

He sits in the dugout sometimes and watches his son--who now goes by P.J. instead of Pete to, presumably, lessen the catcalling he gets from the ever-fiery fans of the Atlantic League--play for the Long Island Ducks.

Also, P.J. was and imprisoned for selling the date rape drug a couple years back and was also tabbed as a user of performance enhancers by Kirk Radomski.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Watching online. Laughed my ass off (a considerable chortle) in first set with Rose. Costas, explaining that Rose couldn't be there in person because he got food poisoning. To Pete, live via satellite: "What are the odds of that happening?I'll bet you know, Pete!"
    And Rose calls him a smartass.
    Loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted