1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COSTAS NOW on state of baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Maybe Pete would return as player-manager again.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too bad I already used the "...no idea why he killed a hobo" line tonight. Would go great with Starman here. :D

I was a wee lad when Rose was a manager, but I don't recall him distinguishing himself. And the Reds have no ties to him now that Marge is looking up at us.

It's all a moot point anyway. He'll be re-instated the moment after he takes his last breath, if at all.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck that. Joe Jackson's been dead since 1951. He got next.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent point. No way Rose should get back in unless they do the same for Jackson.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Now he knows how the rest of us feel.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The line re Babe Ruth comes to mind:

"He couldn't even manage himself."

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is 100 percent on the mark. Costas doesn't even begin to have the requisite skills to be CEO of baseball.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

for sake of argument, I'd throw out the name of Jack McKeon

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

Pete had four straight second place finishes as manager of the Reds.
    In '84 before the he became manager they went 70-92
    In '85, Pete's first full year, they went 89-72

10. vicd

vicd Active Member

Think how many games they would have won if he wasn't throwing games to feed his gambling addiction.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he was a horrible manager, but he wasn't anything special in that role.

No way a major league team would hire him as a manager again. I doubt any organization would even give him one of its farm teams to run. More likely, some independent-league team would hire him for the attention.

Rose may say he doesn't care about the Hall of Fame, but he is still arrogant enough to think that somehow the game is less than it was because he is on the outside looking in. He actually said he wouldn't be happy with just being eligible for the Hall of Fame, but still being kept out of baseball, but that's the most he should be able to hope for. No way that man should ever hold a job in baseball again.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

rose also railed about the notion that, if ever deemed eligible, he would not get in on the first ballot. it seemed beyond him that it could take a while for voters to come to terms with it.

in essence, he argued that EVERYONE in the hall should get in on their first try.he mentioned rizzuto and tony perez as examples of guys who had to wait too long.

the more the man speaks, the more i come to understand that he is an idiot who hasn't a clue. and yeah, it was great to have him via sattelite from LAS VEGAS. if you're pete rose, isn't that the last place on earth -- with atlantic city a close second -- you would EVER be.

just go away, pete.

Draft saved Draft deleted