1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COSTAS NOW on state of baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

on now. bissinger and leitch sitting together in audience like pals. very funny.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Re: costa now on state of baseball

Costa?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

ALREADY FIXED. i wreak of fail.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Costas talking about the state of baseball? I'm going to go eat a gun.

I respect him, but that's one subject where he annoys the fuck out of me.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved his book "A Fan's Case for Baseball." I wanted him to replace Selig on the spot.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Isn't there an "E! True Hollywood Story: Full House" for you to watch?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Especially his continued animus towards the wild card.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's been dead wrong on that. Was he for or against interleague play? I seem to recall him being against it, but I'm not sure.

I love it when people throw it out there that he should be commish. Just because he has a forum and can speak eloquently on a sport doesn't mean he should be in charge of it. He would've been a disaster.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nope. But Home Improvement is gracing the TV.

I'd take Costas over Selig any day. Of course, you could throw a lot of people in that office, and I'd be OK with it.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just watched the first segment, a Hall of Fame debate with Dave Winfield, Jim Palmer, Ken Rosenthal and Pete Rose. Rose apparently couldn't make it to New York due to food poisoning, but he appeared via satellite with a backdrop that was either Vegas or Atlantic City. Classy touch.

But watching Rose, I got the impression that he no longer really cares if he makes the Hall of Fame. However, he desperately wants to be reinstated to baseball so that he can manage again.

Pete Rose is 67 years old, about a month older than Bobby Cox, about a year younger than Joe Torre. Tony La Russa, who has been managing since 1979, is three years younger than Rose.

Rose would probably get a job somewhere if he was reinstated tomorrow. The Reds might even fire Dusty Baker on the spot to hire him. But as a long-term solution, he wouldn't make much sense.

How many managers have had success at Rose's age or older? Connie Mack's last great team came when he was 70, same with Casey Stengel. Leo Durocher managed his last game at 68.

But those guys are obvious exceptions (Mack not least because he owned the team).

Walter Alston was done by 65, Joe McCarthy by 62, Sparky Anderson by 61. Earl Weaver retired at 56, John McGraw at 59.

Anybody else I'm forgetting?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way Rose would ever get another managing job. Hell, he wasn't that good of a manager to begin with.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Cito Gaston can be exhumed and put back in the dugout, you can bet your ass Pete Rose would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted