1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Costas leaves HBO, joins MLB Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Feb 4, 2009.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Effective immediately, will host interview show and do some play-by-play.
    I like this network more and more.

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090203&content_id=3793902&vkey=&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This network gets better and better. I enjoy a lot of the programming now, and I can't wait to see what it's able to do during the season.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

wow thats a great catch, i really like costas.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They showed him asking Torre about Manny on Hot Stove. Their coverage of the Manny thing was way too much. He turned down a contract offer. They went on about it so long, I wonder how they can possibly devote more time to it when he DOES sign with someone. In fact, I think they may have spent more time on it than Manny spent playing for the Dodgers.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's the most-talked about story in the field they happen to cover. Not a problem.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like baseball or I wouldn't have been watching it in the first place. But it was so over-the-top repetitive that you'd really have to be a mental patient who stalks Manny to want that much on it.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is a move that improves the quality of both networks.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, that's another thousand jobs lost.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

With all the technology we have, can't Costas get a better hair dye than the shoe polish Tim McCarver uses?

Or maybe we could just let TV guys have gray hair?

10. Can he work at NBC and at an entity owned by MLB?
    Does this bother anyone else?

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Considering that in his two main NBC jobs--the NFL and the Olympics--he's working for a network that is a rights-holder and thus a partner of the NFL and IOC, no, it doesn't bother me. Editorial independence was already out the window.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to ask?

When baseball fucks up something -- and it will -- how hard will Costas criticize it? Will Bud be treated with kid gloves?

I hope he's not neutered like the writers at MLB.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted