1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost of living

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Oct 30, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good reason. I'm across the state line into Pennsyltucky, though, so West Seneca's a bit of a commute.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Try this place. Just across the Allegany from Eldred on NY 305 at the 417 junction in Portville. Yum.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Now you're in my neighborhood, and I know the place well. Too well, judging by my waistline.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

$575 for a one-bedroom apartment for the wife and I. Brick walls so I can't hear the neighbors.

Walking distance from work. A bar right next door. I don't want to ever move.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I pay $995 for a one-bedroom, spacious apartment -- not including utilities. I live paycheck to paycheck and mileage check to mileage check.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My wife and I live in the nicest apartment complex in town and our rent is 525 with water included. We pay electric, phone, cable, internet. On average, you can find a decent place in this town for 400. Housing is crazy cheap here, too. 120K for a 3BR house is pretty high for here.

If I could take this town and drop it a little closer to home, I could see myself living here for a long time.

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

The first place I lived out of college was a small duplex with a loft bedroom for $350, utilities not included. From there, I moved into a house I rented for $450 a month, but got booted when the local university offered to pay the owner $650 for the place.

A year ago, a friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in moving in with him and his his fiancee to help out with the bills. The mortgage on the house is $600. I pay half of it, and they cover the rest, including cable.

None of us make a ton of money, but pooled together, we are able to have some nice things (pool, widescreen HD TV, etc.), and we're even talking about purchasing a bigger house together.

It's also nice because my Jack Russell Terrier now has two Pit Bulls and a Lasa Opso to play with. :)

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have a pretty good set up right now, as mentioned on the apt thread, I have rented rooms or houses (with roommates) for the last 6 years. Right now I rent a room for $500 a month all inclusive (utilities plus Satelite, wireless internet) and I pretty much have free reign of the basement which includes a big screen TV right outside my room (My landlords, she was a good frind from high school, have a big screen up stairs). Really cannot complain at all.
    To rent a room where I live at $500 is probably on the low side. One bdm apts start at about $750 a month, 2 bdms are closer to $850 and they go up sharply after that. That's if you can find one. In the middle of oil country in Alberta and housing is at a premium.
    buying a house is out of the question for me unless the housing market here absolutely crashes, I mean goes through floor and keeps on its course for China. A 25 yr old fixer upper 3 bdms starts at about $225-$250,000 depending on level of disrepair. For an average cookie cutter house (3 bdm 2 ba 1,150 sq ft, postage stamp size back yard) you start at $300,000 and it shoots up from there. You can find the odd 25 yr oldtrailer in a gang infested trailer park (youth gangs are a huge proble, here, particularly at one of the trailer parks) for under $100,000 but be prepared to pay upwards if $150,000, esp for a nice double wide.
    One bdr condos start at about $125,000, but the building will be extra light on creature features and there's a good chance the appliances -- if it comes with any -- will be 10+ yrs old. For a nice condo you can easily spend $250,000 to $300,000 and I'm sure if you wanted you could probably spend more.
    My hope is to marry for money. That or I may one day be able to afford a $225,000 townhouse.

But it could be worse read about 6 mos ago Ft. McMurray, AB (the "evil tarsands place") average rent for a one bdr apartment is $2,500 a month, if you can find a place (not long ago there was an 18-month long waiting list for accomdations, not sure what it is now). And it's not like there are many benefits to living in Ft. McMurray outside of a high paying oil job of which your housing will eat up most of your salary anyways. I know a lot of oil workers are now buyng anything within an hours drive of Saskatoon and telling oil companies that if they want them to fly them in, and they will for a couple of weeks at a time.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

$1,000 a month for a downtown condo ... walk to work takes about five minutes. I have to pay for electric, water, cable TV and Internet, which is about another $200 a month.

On the positive side, there's no need for a car and a maid will clean and do laundry for $0.05 a month.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

In 2001, I had a shitty efficiency/studio apt. in Milford, Conn., ... a block from the Sound ... for $960.

Moved later that year to Oshkosh, Wis., ... a nice, roomy two bedroom overlooking Lake Winnebago for $399.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Editudes rent a duplex and pay a ton. In one flyover-country metro stop, though, I had apartments that were $600 and $450 a month, including utilities. As we glide (or get pushed) down the hill, we certainly will look for cheaper locales.

Draft saved Draft deleted