1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost of Living in SF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Firstime Caller, Jun 29, 2006.

1. I know the cost of living is supposed to be very high even compared to other major cities like NY and Chicago. How much of that though is housing costs? How do things like, say, groceries, utilities, gas, entertainment - movies, greens fees, drink at a bar - compare to other major cities? Are they higher, too?

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

If you make less than six figured there, it's hard to be even comfortable. My bro-in-law just bought a house for $999,999 ... and it's a fixer-upper.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stay away!!!! Just kidding.

Yes, everything is quite high; housing is astronomical, gas, food, dining out, green fees (lucky to hit $45 for a muni) but its worth it.

I sometimes forget how fortunate I am to be here. Beautiful sunsets over the Golden Gate Bridge. Great weather (mostly mild with hot temperatures less than 45 mins away) year round.

Welcome.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A fixer-upper for that money? Holy fuck.

6. Bears00

Bears00 Member

And prepare for the massive earthquake that will hit in the next 20 years.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A fixer upper out there, probably doesn't mean the same as it does in, say the midwest.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm envious. If I could move anywhere in the country, I'd have to choose between San Francisco and New York.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I want to move back to North Carolina one of these days. Maybe Raleigh or Hickory.

10. gtlaw and other SFers,

Just to help out, could you give me say a ballpark figure for any of the following: cost of 2-liter bottle of soda, cost of a movie (non-matinee), gallon of gas, utilites for 1500 sq ft apartment?

I know the housing costs are very high. Let me just say I'm in a somewhat unique situation in that, for me, housing costs might not be an issue. So I'm just trying to figure out how, if my spouse and I live on $X and have to pay for housing in a fairly expensive city, how well will we be living in SF if we make $X+$30,000 and don't have to pay for housing. That's why I keep on asking about non-housing related costs.

$45 for a muni isn't too encouraging though for being able to play too often. Is that for 18? With a cart?

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

If you make 30k in San Fran, you'll be begging from the homeless.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Figure $10 for a movie and $3.25 for a gallon of gas.

And don't forget bridge tolls, for when you want to leave town. Those can add up in a hurry. Off the top of my head, I think it's $5 across the Golden Gate Bridge and $3 across the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Draft saved Draft deleted