1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost of Airfare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's not their job.

Nobody ever talks about enjoyable bus trips or taxi rides or subway rides.

And none of those options can get you halfway around the world in 16 hours.

If you have a book and/or an iPod . . . there really should be little misery involved in this miracle we take for granted.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Screw that. I don't take that for granted. My teleportation device, on the other hand...

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In my experience, Frontier, Alaska and Horizon have often demonstrated it's possible to be friendly and reasonably accomodating and also be in the airline business.

Air Tran gets its chance to join that select group this summer. I don't fly Southwest, but I've heard they can be nice and operate an airline at the same time as well.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

JetBlue. Service with a smile. XM and DirecTV. Cookies.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

JetBlue does not fly to 30 states. Or anywhere else in the world outside of Bahamas.

What good is the cookie if the airplane is not going where you want to go?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I really like Frontier. Course it's in bankruptcy and is pretty much just out West.

7. Southwest is where it's at domestically. Have used 'em at least 3-4 times a year for the past 15 years, and never had a bad flight, a late flight (aside from bad weather) or lost luggage.

United stinks, for the most part, but internationally from the U.S. it's a better option than American or Northwest, which suck out loud.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I use Southwest as my No. 2 airline, but the lack of first class really hurts.

Nothing like getting that upgrade confirmation from Continental the day before your cross country flight. By the time that thing is over, you will almost be disappointed you landed.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I won't do the cattle call. Won't do it.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, it's a drawback. However, what I do like about Southwest: Many of the shorter flights I take are maybe half full. There have been several times I've had a whole row to myself. Since I hate people, this is a good thing.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

JetBlue can call me a fat slob and I would not care.

Give me the tv and music, and I forget all.

Has anyone found that using a travelocity or orbitz as your starting part works, but if you follow up on their choice and deal directly with the airline you will get a better deal?

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Used to be an American Airline guy. Won't use it now if you hold a gun to my head. Way too many bad experiences, cancelled flights, re-routes, etc.

I've become a big Southwest fan in recent years. I like having the option of finding a seat away from a screaming, squirming 2-year-old. Their on-time record has been sterling for me, compared to misadventures on other carriers (ahem, AA).

The only issue I'd have with SW is if one of their wings falls off on a flight I'm on because of lack of maintenance. That might be a problem.

And as to the question in the original post: Our travel has been cut drastically. But with the clusterf*ck that flying has become, I can't say I'm disappointed, although I still have to take 15-20 work flights a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted