1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost of Airfare

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

United is upping its change fee and bringing back Sat. stay over. Others will surely follow suit.

Is the cost of airfare affecting, or do you think it will affect travel at your shop? Will beats or have beats been eliminated?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Depends. Enterprising people will always check Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, etc., for better deals.

If you look long and hard, good airfares are out there.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

United is the Spawn of Satan. I've never flown an airline that employed more unhelpful and out-and-out hostile people. I think they train them to act like assholes.

I used to think it was just me bringing out the inner asshole in people but I hear the same thing from other United users.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

UA and AA remain neck-and-neck in this thrilling competition.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I hear that.

We have been booking our flights on orbitz for awhile now, and aside from the occasional deal I think we could probably do a whole lot better if we were allowed to shop around a little.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

We cut back slightly this year. I'm guessing the cuts will run even deeper next year.

Luckily it looks like all the major beats will remain untouched, though.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's not just you. I've never met ruder airline people than those who work for United. And it's been that way for at least 20 years.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our shop won't allow us to use Orbitz or Priceline or the like. They count as "travel agents" and we aren't allowed to use "travel agents" -- how silly.

It's just as well. I'm sure it would screw up my continental points.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I use American quite bit and they aren't anywhere near as rude and incompetent as United.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're pretty much operating out of the same playbook, in my mind. AA and US Air have done the most damage to me, baggagewise, and if I hear the phrase,
    "We're a businesssssss aaaaaairlineeeeee" one more time out of a UA or AA stew, I'll puke on the spot. Sure, lady, all of your passengers are going to pay last-minute business fares to put up with your endless abuses. Bet me.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

are there any airlines that are actually enjoyable to fly? sure, you get some nice perks on jet blue (TV) and midwest (warm chocolate cookies) but flying has become a miserable experience.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My paper is looking, I think, at REALLY cutting down on flights. I've heard we're the only department still traveling, and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't cut to only covering things we can drive to.

With gas costs, I'm not sure that's going to save much money.

Draft saved Draft deleted