1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost my son/long-snapper a scholarship and I will 'end' you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 9, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it refreshing that some people still think print can impact a scholarship with all the video platforms available to players to get their tape to college coaches.

murphyc likes this.
  2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

For what?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Especially for long snappers, who are probably the most anonymous starters on the field.
    A few years ago we had a local player get a scholarship as a long snapper at an SEC school. It was an interesting story, in that he made himself his own brand and promoted himself as much as he could. He did more to get himself noticed by sending out videos, making his own web site and attending as many camps as he could (the last one was the real key) than any newspaper story or even his own coaches did to help him.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's a little too sensitive, isn't it?

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Fighting words. "I will end you," should qualify.

Statute | Kansas State Legislature

Probably.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I had it on tape, I would play it for the principal/AD.

If not, it's your word vs. his. Reporters are threatended all the time. In that case, I am sure he would say that he didn't mean he'd kill you, he meant he's see that your career was ended for being so negative to kids, blah, blah, blah.

You can go after them all, but angry coaches/ADs/parents/boosters are part of the game. You don't let them push you around, but you can't go after every one in court.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Actually it was a Tweet at issue.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

First, I'm not the one who said court. Second, there was a witness, so it's not your word against his. Third, I meant you don't just ignore it -- you let the head coach, the AD (who around here is often the head coach) and the principal know. And, yes, it's fair game to write about it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Understood on your first point. I was addressing the issue in general.

In this specific case, I probably would make sure the coach knew. Beyond that, it would depend on how threatening/unhinged the coach seemed.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

From the article, both the superintendent and principal were made aware of the situation and vowed it would not happen again.
    BTW, Parsons lost the game big, a week after losing another game big and apparently losing its collective cool:
    Svaty addresses player behavior, structure changes leading up to Pittsburg

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's not just the politics that are crazy in Kansas.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I dunno what the parents are worried about...sending snaps over the punter's head should qualify him for a full-ride to KU, amirite?

murphyc and JRoyal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted