1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cost my son/long-snapper a scholarship and I will 'end' you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Crazy times in Kansas high school football ...

A Parsons High School assistant football coach is reported to have threatened to “end” Parsons Sun sports editor Sean Frye Friday night for a tweet about the Viking football game against Pittsburg in Marvel Park stadium.

Here is the tweet: “Vikings snap on a punt nearly goes over Cody Stephens’ head. Instead he gets it off and it’s downed at the Parsons 30. Pitt ball.”

Frye and one other witness to the alleged threats told the Sun that Sherri Misener, the mother of the PHS athlete who snapped the ball on that play, confronted Frye on the field after the game and said the tweet upset her son. Frye, who provides highlights and some play by play from the game on the Parsons Sun’s sports Twitter account, said he told her that was part of the process of reporting a game. She used a derogatory term toward Frye when she walked away.

About a minute after that, Misener’s husband, assistant football coach Chris Misener, approached Frye as Frye was preparing for a post-game interview with the head PHS football coach on the sideline of Marvel Park stadium. The head coach was not in the area at the time.

Frye and the witness, who was standing next to Frye at the time, said Frye greeted coach Misener, but coach Misener got within an inch of Frye’s face and told Frye that if he ever tweeted about his son again, “I will end you. Do you understand me?” Misener used an expletive in the conversation.

PHS coach threatens sports editor

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe if her son was concentrating more on the game instead of tweets, he would have snapped the ball better?

Liut, Ace and murphyc like this.
  3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I bet the kid had no idea about the Tweets until after the incident. 99 percent of the time parents do this the kids don't care about what was written.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I get that the school district won't comment publicly about what the repercussions were against this coach, but as the victim, the SE should have the right to know what has been done to make sure this won't happen again.

And I know this is unprofessional, but if I was this SE, I would be very tempted to tweet (and cite the player by name) every single snap that isn't perfect, and every block little Johnny misses.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure the kid didn't know. When a parent says your tweet/article/whatever upset my kid, it's code for "it upset me." Plus, I didn't think kids read my stuff 20 years ago and that's when I knew the paper was on their breakfast table. Now? Even smaller odds that they're reading.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And it sounds like the confrontation was right after the game where the tweet in question was sent? There's no way the kid knew about it, unless he was checking his phone on the sidelines.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Kid should have threatened to transfer to A&M...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A little over the top with the "end you" threat, but this kind of crap happens every day.

I found it best to smile and ignore the threats. You cannot reason with the moms.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It might be a little different when the dad who threatens you is one of the team's coaches, however.

BrendaStarr and SFIND like this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That's a threat. I'd take the Coach to court. Wonder if he caught it on video. Wouldn't that be a slam dunk SJ lawyers?

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

In my corner of the world, I think today's kids read my stories more than they used to. Of course, they're reading it online and not in the dead tree edition. I know they read it because they talk to me/their friends about it on Twitter. Players have been RTing my football stories within seconds of me posting it to Twitter (and our analytics shows they are actually clicking through to read it).

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If the kid read a tweet during the game -- one that didn't mention him by name and described a play that was ultimately successful -- and told his mom he was upset about during the game he's got much bigger problems.

But I doubt that's actually what happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted