1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cory Booker now official mayor of SJ.com

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 10, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cory Booker's tears could cure cancer. Too bad Cory Booker never cries.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

And where is Sharpe James? LOL

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you can't carry the Hot Pocket vote, who can you carry?

Smart political move. This pretty much seals the deal for when he runs for governor.

Who knew that the road to the seat of power went through processed pastries?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cory Booker spoke to the graduate of my daughter's "Reach Prep" program seven years ago. My wife and I turned to each other and said, "This guy's going places." I'd be happy to see him succeed President Obama.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cory Booker expected The Spanish Inquisition.

6. dooley_womack1

Cory Booker can beat your'n with his'n, and beat his'n with your'n.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but I've seen stuff that makes me think he's more popular nationally than he is in the state and more popular in the state that he is in Newark. Anyone have the inside baseball on how local insiders feel about him?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's still viewed as an outsider/interloper by many of the powerbrokers. Also, no matter what he does, nothing is going to make that city prosper. There is no industry other than Prudential, the Gateway office buildings and possibly some people going to eat in the Ironbound.

9. dooley_womack1

Cory Booker is people!

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

On a sports related note why hasn't he been working to get a replacement for the Nets? Or is he. I would think the size of the television market would make NJ a lot more attractive for a team like the Kings than Kansas City or even Seattle.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Could be because Newark, N.J., is not really in the financial position that would allow it to give away money to a sports franchise. Or it could be that there are two franchises in the metro area already, plus one in Philadelphia, and the market could barely support the Nets and would have no chance of supporting yet another team in the market.

And also there is no television market for Newark per se, it's all just part of the NYC market.

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Booker caught a sweet touchdown pass against USC in 1990, the same day Todd Marinovich caught one later in the game for Troy. I think their similarities end there.

Draft saved Draft deleted