1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cortisone shot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm doing the internal and external band stuff my therapist prescribed, but no bench presses or overhead presses. I have to do pushups on my knees, too.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Omega-3 and the like are supplements you can't skimp on. The cheap stuff will leave you with fish breath, but the expensive stuff won't. Look for the kind that says "molecularlly distilled".

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

Cortisone is fine when used sparingly, but you don't want to take more than 2-3 shots annually, as overuse can cause health problems such as restricted blood flow, bone death, tendon damage, etc. Most old NFLers are gimpy not from injuries per se, but from too much cortisone. I believe MLB recently told team doctors to use no more than three shots a year.

There are some terrific, very light weight (3-5 lb) rehabilitative shoulder exercises that can rehab many shoulder injuries without surgery and help prevent injury. The best compilation I've found in one place was in "Nolan Ryan's Pitcher's Bible." Seventeen years after tearing my rotator cuff while pitching in high school, and after seventeen years of chronic pain and restrictions, after doing those exercises for three months I was not only able to sleep on my right side again, but could play baseball, and ended up pitching senior league baseball for nine years. I still sucked, but my shoulder didn't hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted