1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cortisone shot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude has had two on her carpal-tunnel elbow. Most recent has not worked as well as the first. And they do hurt like hell.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Probably should have mentioned that. The shot itself is about as painful as I've ever gotten. Bring along a bullet on which to bite.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The shot itself didn't feel too bad. My shoulder feels OK, but I'm not going to do anything stupid, no really heavy weightlifting or anything like that for a while. I'm just going to build up my strength again slowly and carefully.
    Next Saturday I'm going to a seminar on shoulder training. It's probably more for personal trainers and physical therapists, but I e-mailed the guy who is doing it and asked if it would be anything that an average nonprofessional can understand and he said it would be.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

No first-hand knowledge, here, but my dad was getting cortisone pretty frequently for torn rotator cuffs (both shoulders). Finally, he gave in and just got the damned surgery. Said he should have done that in the first place. Told me the cortisone was like renting. The pain was always there in some degree, and he had to keep worrying about it. Got the surgery, did his rehab, never had to worry about it again.

Go under the knife, dude. You might be inconvenienced for a few months, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

As long as you're is done growing, it should be great. My ex in high school had a cortisone injection for tendonitis, even though the physical therapists she was seeing didn't want to let the doctor do it because apparently some say the shots are terrible for young bodies.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Especially girls as young as the one Cradle dates. (oh c'mon it was a belt-high BP fastball) :D :D :D

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Potatoes,
    Try glucosamine-condriton. I'm not sure what properties are in it that take care of business but a couple of my friends swear by it. And since I got my MRI results and nothing is structurally wrong with my knee (it's patella femoral syndrome and, thus, a permanent, chronic pain), I've been taking it, along with Omega 3s. One pill each, three times a day. The pain is starting to subside.
    Might be worth a shot.

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Flash, you're killing me.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I tried the Omega-3 for awhile. The fish breath made me give it up. I was grossing my own self out. Can't speak for those close to me.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Hahaha, sorry 'bout that. Didn't even see that one coming!

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't really care much for supplements, not after a trainer at my last gym tried to hustle me into buying a lot of stuff that I didn't need (the gym advertised "free personal training", but the trainers always referred the trainees to a health food store to buy stuff. I guess that's how they made their money).
    I'll ask the doctor about it next time I see him in January. When I had knee problems, a lot of people said I should try glucosomine condriton, but since it was a tendon problem, the physical therapist said it wouldn't help. Maybe since this is more bone/cartiledge, it might.
    The one thing that is bothering me is that while I understand treating the problem conservatively and only having surgery as a last resort, if it eventually ends up being necessary, I kind of wish I could have gotten it over with instead of putting much of my life on hold for the last six months. I haven't been able to strength train with any kind of intensity since April and that has affected my fitness level. I realize it will take some time to build back the strength after surgery, but the sooner I go under the knife, the sooner I can get back to where I was.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Can you do any of those exercises on your shoulder? Try doing them with a resistance band. It might help a little in the interim.
    This must be very frustrating for you. Surgery sounds like it's the best-case scenario for, though, because that shoulder sounds messed up.

Draft saved Draft deleted